The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

My post is being cut short? (8 posts)

1. tvictory
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there a setting that limits the length of a post? My post looks like this:

Congratulations! The class has earned another 10 good behavior points. We are celebrating by having a pizza/root beer party on Friday, November 16th. A great big Thank You to Olin and his Mom for buying the pizza for the class! We appreciate your kindness.
    We had some ice cream left over from the sundaes, so […]

But if I click on the actual post, it shows the entire post...

Here is the site address http://blogs.kusd.org/diaz/category/new-and-notes/

Thanks for any suggestions

2. basszje
    Posted 16 years ago #

Do you use any plugins? Or maybe it's the themes behaviour?

3. tvictory
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am not using any plugins. I will switch the theme and see if that is an issue

4. tvictory
    Posted 16 years ago #

I changed the theme and that did not make a difference.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think there's a setting under options that says something like "only show post exceprts on main page".
    Poke around in there.

6. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

You have your site set to display a static frontpage, so when someone clicks on a category to view your posts, they are seeing archives of your post. You are using the Jakarta theme and that theme has the "archive" template set to show excerpts of posts. So, to change this you can edit your theme and do the following:

1. In your theme, open archive.php
    2. Around the middle of the page (about line 45) fine the following code: <?php the_excerpt() ?>
    3. Replace that code with this: <?php the_content() ?>
    4. Save

Should do it.

Steve

7. tvictory
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ekusteve...

That did it! Thanks for helping me out! That was bugging the heck out of me!

8. danielwalters6
    Posted 16 years ago #

Could you suggest how I might write an IF statement to "summarise" if it belongs to one particular archive?, else show the complete posts, all the time.

ie. I have about 30 categories, with around 3 longish posts in each (I want these to be displayed in full all the time)

However on the "News" category, I would like the posts to be shortened.

Thank you

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by tvictory
  • Latest reply from danielwalters6