The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problem with the .po-file (7 posts)

1. webtechmyloo
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

I really need help!
    After hours of work I updated a .po file that was for an old version of Wordpress mu using poEdit. Then I translated the new translations. After hours of work I uploaded the new .mo language file but only some translations are translated, not all!
    For example everything on the "create a new blogg" page isn't translated. But I looked, and all strings of that page are in my .po file.
    I really need help! please!

Regards,
    Johan

2. Jokka
    Posted 16 years ago #

You have to edit your theme to get that in your language to.

3. webtechmyloo
    Posted 16 years ago #

I don't understand here? What does the .po file really translate? It doesn't translate the wp-signup.php which is in the root of wordpress, not in the theme folder. The wp-signup.php file has _( strings which was detected by poEdit and I translated it, but they arn't been changed in the browser.
    Strange?

4. KKWangen
    Posted 16 years ago #

Have you selected the language for your blog? Sometimes you have to do sitewide and blog to make it work.

5. webtechmyloo
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, I followed the instructions that wordpress is giving. Change in the config file, upload the language file in the right directory...
    And in my admin account, I selected the right language in options.
    I'm sure thet the .mo file is working because if I edit something in poEdit, then save it and upload it, the change is taking effect.
    But some strings doesn't want to be translated, like the whole wp-signup.php file.
    This is very annoying...

6. Jokka
    Posted 16 years ago #

The .po file edits the language of your WordPress, altso the files who is original in WordPress. To get your theme in your language you have to translate the words manualy.

7. KKWangen
    Posted 16 years ago #

Jokka: the page webtechmyloo has trouble with is wp-signup.php which is not a theme file but a WPMU core file.

And, actually, you can create .po/.mo files for themes and plugins as well, so if you are going to edit a theme you should do it to make sure it uses translateable strings like _e('categories')

webtechmyloo: hopefully I'll be ready with the Norwegian translation for MU any time soon, so I'll can see if I get the same problem.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by webtechmyloo
  • Latest reply from KKWangen