The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

theme editing in wordpress-MU (6 posts)

1. kalam
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

wpmu comes with two themes preinstalled, and editable (colors at least).
    But whenever I add another theme, it works fine, but I can't edit its colors !!
    What does it take to make the themes editable ???

Regards

2. techwench
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

The theme creator (or you) must add custom php functions to add editing features.

Basically, intead of defining all colors in the style.css, define a variable in the php files of the theme.

<style type="text/css">
    <!--
    body { background-color: <?php echo $theme_bg_color; ?>; }
    -->
    </style>

Then, create an admin presentation page/tab using get_option(), to allow the user to change the color.

$theme_bg_color = get_option('theme_bg_color');
    if ($theme_bg_color != "") {
    return "#000000";
    } else {
    return $theme_bg_color;
    }

Or something along those lines, anyway...you'll have to be familiar with PHP and also WP's functions/development.

And since these functions aren't available for 1.5, and most of the currently available themes are made for 1.5, these options won't come standard with most themes.

3. kalam
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks for replying.
    But in which files should I add these sentences ??

4. federico
    Posted 18 years ago #

kalam,

you can work directely with files of theme, included style.css and images if exists.

Another thing is to make customizable an theme.

What is you want?

5. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Has anyone got this going well, I'd love to try out a demo!

6. techwench
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Farms, view the source of the Kubrick/Default theme. Particularly the functions.php file.

I have it kinda working, only not for individual items (because I didn't want to mess around with it for forever). In this theme, I setup 4 stylesheets and 4 image directories (for each style) and used the same principle. Basicially, the user is able to pick from 4 different color schemes.

About this Topic