The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

1 2 3 ... 5

MuTags - another solution for site wide tags (135 posts)

1. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, here's my site wide tags solution: MuTags 0.1.

I haven't tested this on subdomain installs, but I don't see any reason why this souldn't work on them. If you try this be sure that pretty permalinks are enabled.

Works fine for me.
    Hope this works for you too :)

2. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Will test this weekend :)

3. dbasulto
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just tested it. Works nice :)

Will do some more testing, but so far nothing to report.

feature request: option to add categories to the tag cloud? i ask this because since tags just got introduced, most content is organized trough categories, and this way oler content can still be relevated.

Perhaps adding cats on categories could be optional, so when a WPMU install gets its users using more and more tags, it can be disabled.

4. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Installed on my test server just to see how well it works. So far so good.

This weekend I will test it on my live site :)

5. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

any subdirectory issues? i'm getting 'There was an error' on the mu tags screen

6. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

dbasulto: I thought of the adding categories option also. I could add it to the next release.

Konstan: Please let me know when u do :)

demonicume: I've only tested the plugin with subdirectories and for me works fine. The error message that you see is caused by the ImportWptags() -method. Did it appear immediately after installing the db-tables or when? This could also be a php issue. What version of php is your server running?

Try replacing
    <---if(!$results) die('There was an error');--->

With;

<---if(!$results) {
    die('There was an error');
    }--->

around line 565

7. bloggsbe
    Posted 16 years ago #

I get the same error as demonicume. Its a subdir install, and you get it when you try to access the plugin from the MUadmin menu. The plugin admin part does not load at all. The strange thing is that it works on my test server, the live server has PHP 5.2.3 and the test server PHP 5.2.4.

I'm testing to see if I can resolve the issue, but no luck so far...

Changing the lines does not help (564/565)

--
    Rune

8. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

I added new files to wpmudev with a tiny fix. Hope you have better luck with this one....

9. bloggsbe
    Posted 16 years ago #

That did the trick!

Thanks, nice plugin :-)

--
    Rune

10. mornebecl
    Posted 16 years ago #

You are a superstar - Thanks for the great Plugin, Works out the box :)

11. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

yup, his plugin rocks pretty hard. thanx. you do custom work?

12. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the positive feedback! This gives me energy to make this plugin even better. A new improved version is already right around the corner :)

demonicume: I haven't done any custom work, but I'm always open towards new challenges...

13. mark-k
    Posted 16 years ago #

Very well written plugin, although I actually had split the code into two parts. I have placed the admin related code in mu-plugins, but moved the display logic to the theme.

One suggestion for improvement, is to have a manual or automatic way to discard old entries in the tables. I am not a MYSQL expert but I have a feeling that the performance of querying a table and inserting to it is related in some way to the number of entries, and it will make sense to keep the tables as small as possible.

14. veryid
    Posted 16 years ago #

@mrhenry
    i am from china. i think you did a good job.

but when i wanted to show a result in chinese, it did not work.please help me.

15. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

MySQL isn't going to have a problem with the amount of data.

The only thing that might cause problems is that when the tag cloud is displayed it has to re-count the number of tags. If there was a site_term_taxonomy table which was updated at the same time as each blog_term_taxonomy table was updated then you wouldn't need to do the recount, and it would also allow you to have a category cloud (or a combined Category/Tag cloud)

16. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

mark-k: I'm working on the mysql cleanup feature on the new release...

veryid: I tried to crack this one, but had no luck. I honestly don't have any idea on how to solve your problem :(

SteveAtty: If ENABLE_CACHE is set to true this plugin should get the tagcloud primarily from the cache so that counting the tags shouldn't happen everytime a tagcloud -page is loaded.

Including categories in the tagcloud will be available in the next release.

17. veryid
    Posted 16 years ago #

waht a pity~~

18. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have a somewhat similar problem...the tag cloud wont display ñ correctly, so I guess it wont display things such as é. This is a bummer since I have a spanish talking community :(

Edit: import tags doesnt work either :P It said tags importer succesful but the page stopped loading after that. It shows this before it dies:

<form method="post" name="options" action="There was an error

I tried my test server and it worked, so I dont know whats up.

19. peeloo
    Posted 16 years ago #

I don't understand the mechanic to display tag search in tag_result.php, coud you explain it a bit more?

I've create a 'tag' page in the wpmu admin, and disallow 'tag' and 'tags' as wpmu names (so it won't want to create a new blog on wpmu-install.com/tag/mytag)

What else should be done?

I've found this comment in MuTags.php, but it might have been for an older version?

// you'll need to put the link destination in place of the #
    // (assuming your tag links to some sort of details page)

20. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

peeloo: Yep, thats from an older version :) There's really no need to edit the php itself. Just create an actual page with the tag_results.php as the template and "tag" as the slug, and your tag results should appear when you click a tag, if "tag base" is set to "tag" and "tag results template" is set to "tag_results" in the site-admin menu.

I also managed to find a solution for the ñ é and the import tags issue...

21. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sweet :) When do we get an update? :P

PD: I really like your site, it looks very nice.

22. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i just wanna say it again... i'm lovin this plugin.

23. au8ust
    Posted 16 years ago #

Installed and created DB but got No tags found...

24. au8ust
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, it's working now. I just forgot to import existing tags :(

However, it's not working with non-English tags. It returns 404 page not found :/

25. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i just imported some cats to tags, how do i refresh?

26. bloggsbe
    Posted 16 years ago #

As au8ust writes, it does not like non-English tags. So tags containing;

å (å), ø (ø) and æ (æ) returns a 404.

Any ideas? I know I do not have any :-)

Regards,
    Rune

27. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've been working on a new version of this plugin, and I will propably release it in a few days. It has a fix for most of the language issues.

demonicume: If you converted wp-categories to wp-tags, you could just re-import the wp-tags from the MuTags options. Tags wont be duplicated. I suggest that you still backup your db before trying this. :)

28. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Looks like accents work, its just the weird letters :P But once you click on them nothing shows up because well, you cant have accents in urls...

I'll be waiting the update.

29. mark-k
    Posted 16 years ago #

It seems to me that the accent problem is cuased by urlencode and urldecode not being used when generating and parsing the links.

30. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, a new version is now available at wpmudev.

Im guessing this might even work with the chinese characters.

1 2 3 ... 5

About this Topic