The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

primary blog (11 posts)

1. expaand
    Posted 16 years ago #

sorry for the dumb question, but what is a "primary blog" - who has the option to change it, and what is its purpose?

thx.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Primary blog refers to the user's main blog - the one they signed up for first.

If you were logged in as someone else, the link would be different.

Some people may have more than one blog and needed a way to switch between them easily.

3. expaand
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmmmm. So how do you switch?

I've got an 'admin' user, whose primary is the main site
    ('site.com').

'admin' can control *everything* everywhere.

Other users have the admin roles on their own sites (like 'user1.site.com', etc).

Typically, you have to log onto the correct site to edit/administer there. How does the "primary site" come into play? (If this is explained in the docs somewhere, please just refer me. I just couldn't find it anywhere....)

Thanks!

4. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

You've got to have at least two blogs to switch between first...if you are the site admin then the main site blog is yours. You (the admin) would need to be logged in and create another blog before you would be able to switch between them. Once you have at least two blogs, then you can switch between them by clicking on the blog title (upper left section of admin area).

Now, as admin you can log into the backend of blogs owned by others in the admin area....but this is not the same thing as switching between your own blogs like described above.

Steve

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

It;s not in any docs anywhere. :) The Site Admin can visit the backend of any user's blog. There are links in the Site Admin -> Blogs listing.

That "primary blog" area is specifically for blogs you are admin on. So, for the Site Admin, it would be the main blog. If you (as the site admin) set up another blog called "support" and one called "faqs" or whatever, then they'd show up on your list there.

For users, say one signs up and gets a blog. Then they decide they want another blog where they'd like to talk about books. Now they have two blogs, but the first one is their primary blog.

Is that more clear?

6. expaand
    Posted 16 years ago #

Aha - there was a hidden dropdown in the upper left to switch! So if someone is a user in more than one blog, this menu gets the backends to switch between.

Still, I am not sure what "primary" means. Sorry.

Also, I think there is an issue/bug if you delete the site-admin as user of a blog. I'll get the details, but when I look at the "blog" list, the admin is a user in two blogs. However, under the user list, under admin, there are listed 3 blogs (one of which I had removed the admin from).

Another question: is there any documentation on these issues? I.e., the concepts, as well as a how-to for administering a wpmu site?

Thanks so much.

7. Vimm
    Posted 16 years ago #

The primary blog is the default blog that is selected if you login from a blog which you do not have access to. This variable has existed in previous versions however it was not viewable or editable. As a side note, if a user's primary blog is disabled they will no longer be able to login anywhere (bug).

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Primary = main. It is the first (default) blog a suser signs up for.

As for docs,

http://wpmututorials.com
    http://codex.wordpress.org/index.php?title=Category:WPMU

9. expaand
    Posted 16 years ago #

When I try to log into a blog I don't have access to, I get an error:
    "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

(And the primary blog is enabled).

Is this related to the bug?

10. Vimm
    Posted 16 years ago #

That's odd, I've only had that happen when the primary blog was set to a disabled or nonexistent blog. It should load up your primary blog's admin page instead, assuming your role is set to anything higher than "Subscriber".

11. phred42
    Posted 15 years ago #

SO how do I change the Primary Blog entry?

The one locked in there no longer exists. When I attempt to post a question on the Forum I get the error screen - the error msg says it can't go any further because the original blog dosen't exist - I can't as on the Forum how to fix this because the old blog is gone - CATCH-22!

If I can't change the primary blog I'll never be able to post to the forum and god knows what else.

Help!

About this Topic