The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

problems with recent post plugin (18 posts)

1. uscommonsense
    Posted 16 years ago #

For some reason, the "ah_recent_posts_mu" plugin isn't pulling the posts from all the blogs in the subdomains. The site that is currently under development is http://www.blog-now.net/. Anyone that is running this plugin have any suggestions? All it is currently showing are the comments from the main blog.

Thanks.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Are they marked as public? Then they shoudl show. Private ones will not. That's the ticky box at the start that says "keep my blog out of search engines AND public listings around the site".

3. uscommonsense
    Posted 16 years ago #

I believe so, but I'll create another test site to try. Thanks Andrea.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Um, where exactly have you placed the code?

I am running it myself, cuz we're the ones who wrote it...

5. uscommonsense
    Posted 16 years ago #

It is the very first widget on the right-hand column of the current theme. Is there an additional line that might need to be added somewhere to "activate" it?

I just setup another test blog (making sure the box is checked "yes" for the search capability) and it still isn't pulling the data over.

As far as writing the code... Really? COOL! :)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Huh. Well we didn't write it as a widget... Did you widgetize it or did someone else?

Nothing should be needed to activate it, especially if it's in the mu-plugins folder. Just paste the function call in the template where you want it to appear.

Although I am not positive it works in 1.3. I have a fuzzy memory of someone saying it didn't. (I'm not using it on a 1.3 install yet...)

7. uscommonsense
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, it's showing up as a widget on my end, not as a plug-in (though it is in the mu-plugin folder). I'll keep messing with it today to see if I can get it to work.

Thanks! Hope you had a great New Years.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Where'd you download it from? Because we didn't write it as a widget.

9. uscommonsense
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not 100% sure (since it was a little while ago), but I think this is the site (download file name looks the same):

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Most-recent-posts---updated

Do you have a better source?

10. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

that's an updated file that someone else added to what we did. Either way though, neither one is a widget.

Use this one:
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Most-recent-posts
    and lemme know how you make out. (you can email me if you like.)

11. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

yeah, thats no widget. if youre seeing a 'recent post' widget, youre looking at something else. there are a couple of plugins floating around the forums that do what you want. Andrea's plugin will pull posts sitewide - or at least it did when i used it. if you see a widget and its only pulling posts for a particular blog, youre def looking at the wrong thing.

12. uscommonsense
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sorry for the delay. Been a bit busy. I've finally downloaded the version you recommended and uploaded it to my site.

What I've discovered is if you drop the plug-in into the "mu-plugins" folder, it comes up as a widget. If you drop it into the "plugins" folder, it shows up as a plug-in. Strange.

Now that it is activated in my plug-in menu in WP, what's next?

13. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Use common sense and read the directions?

:D

14. uscommonsense
    Posted 16 years ago #

hahaha . . . thanks Luna. :P Actually, this download didn't come with a readme file unfortunately.

15. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I couldn't help it. That door was just so wide open... I couldn't resist it.

It doesn't tell you how/what to add to your theme template to call it?

I will note, as I just run across this with a clients site, that this will stack a lot of queries onto your page loads. So if performance declines, remember to check it.

16. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

That's really weird, as we didn't code it as a widget. Also? It has directions at the top of the plugin, in the file itself.

lunabyte - thanks for the headsup on the queries, I will let Mr Andrea know (or you can send him tips, if ya want.)

17. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'd have to look at it specifically, which I didn't. I just know when I turned it off it took off quite a few. ;)

18. uscommonsense
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh, you are right. Thanks for pointing that out Andrea. I'll give that a try.

Hope you all are having a great weekend!

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by uscommonsense
  • Latest reply from uscommonsense