The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Plesk IIS Installation Problems (11 posts)

1. ezoolander
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi -

I'm running Windows Server 2003 - with PLESK as the admin panel. I found a few posts on here that had to do with PLESK installation problems - but it seemed that they were pretty much Apache based servers.

The problem that I'm having is that I cannot even get through the installation. Once I've designated the database settings - and hit "Continue" - it just kicks out a bunch of permission problems.

Is there something unique to WordPress MU that is different than normal Wordpress? Because I've gotten normal Wordpress to install flawlessly. MU, however, just gives me a list of permission errors (namely, it cannot write wp-config.php - and all of the assundry errors that result from that.)

Has anyone tried to install MU from a PLESK managed domain/on IIS before?

I notice that people in other threads have suggested some IIS/ChangeMod installation...but that's always been in the context of "Hey, my thing isn't creating blogs correctly." - which seems to me means that they've gotten further along than I have gotten... but could that be it?

Thanks in advance :)

2. shaythong
    Posted 16 years ago #

What type of errors did the WPMU installation actually give you?

3. ezoolander
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the reply -

There's WAYYY too many to list in the sequence of errors - but they all are of this type..

"fopen(wp-config.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream"

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Did you follow the actual install instructions? They are different for MU.

Did you make it so it could write the config file? DO NOT make a config file.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Also, as a note, the only way folks have got it to work on IIS is paying a tidy sum for some module or something.

It appears that you haven't fully researched/read the readme file included with the download, or the requirements on the download page as well. It might be beneficial to do so.

As for it being different, yes it is. Quite different in terms of requirements, setup procedure, and skills needed to successfully maintain/operate it.

6. ezoolander
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, I have read the installation instructions.

The installation instructions only give instructions for Apache - and there's not a word about Windows 2003/IIS. Apache is not installed on my server - consequently - there's no "mod_rewrite" setting to tinker with like in Apache.

That's why I specifically asked about IIS installation - and also asked about the IIS/mod_rewrite third party app - and whether or not it was necessary.

I've installed - and maintained MU on Apache servers before - and had no problems. In this scenario, however, it's a different configuration that is not addressed in the install instructions. :)

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

And perhaps there is a reason it's not covered?

Search here for IIS?

Check the download page, and system requirements?

8. bloggus
    Posted 16 years ago #

The IIS/mod_rewrite third party app are definitely necessary.

9. ezoolander
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmmm - check download page and system requirements.

To run WordPress your host just needs a couple of things:

* PHP version 4.2 or greater (check!)
    * MySQL version 4.0 or greater (check!)

That's really it. We recommend (not require) Apache or Litespeed as the most robust and featureful server for running WordPress, but any server that supports PHP and MySQL will do.

Hmmm - seems like I read it right.

Thanks Bloggus. ;)

10. bloggus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well on the download page it says clear "Apache mod_rewrite" or in this (your/mine) case app equivalent to mod_rewrite.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

http://mu.wordpress.org/download/

"Apart from WordPress Requirements

* Apache mod_rewrite..."

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by ezoolander
  • Latest reply from lunabyte