The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Hosting Query : WPMU (4 posts)

1. raxitsheth
    Posted 16 years ago #

hi,

currently i am on Shared hosting, <dreamhost> and soon to have our system will open for Users.

Just want to check if i approx 200 bloggers to start of , is that ok with Shared hosting ? Or they will kick me out because of load.

If i want to choose any other hosts, approx how much Diskspace, RAM, is reasonable for approx 200 bloggers ?

-Raxit

2. raxitsheth
    Posted 16 years ago #

is any Exp. with Dreamhost Private server ?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

With 200 users, you'll be pushing it. Around 256 RAM would do for that, more is better.

Diskspace? Multiply whatever you've allocated each user by how many users you have. Diskspace and bandwidth are the least of your worries - you'll always need more RAM.

I'm currently running 400+ users with about 25-30% of them regular posters, and 512 RAM wasn't quite enough. I get 900 unique a day. I use nowhere near the amount of space & bandwidth I have allocated to me on a VPS.

I haven't used Dreamhost, but I know they've been mentioned in the forums before. Also, check all the fine print in ther TOS, especially about maximum db connections.

4. neurophyre
    Posted 16 years ago #

I would absolutely not use Dreamhost for this unless you want a lot of pissed off users. Look into ServInt for VPS hosting, they're excellent and inexpensive.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by raxitsheth
  • Latest reply from neurophyre