The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Default role for a new blog owner (7 posts)

1. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'll try to explain it as simple as possible.
    All of you drmikes, lunabytes, andrea_rs,... and all others. Please help me solve this problem.

I want all new blog owners to have 'contributor' role by default. Not 'admin' but 'contributor' or 'editor' or 'author' ...

Where to start? wpmu-functions.php?
    Please be precise. Name of the file I have to edit and what exactly should I do.

Thanks in advance

2. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

All of your defaults are in one of two files:

- /wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php
    - /wp-admin/includes/schema.php

Telling you that just for reference in case you want to change some other stuff.

In this case, it's in wpmu-functions.php. Line #1209 to be exact. Replace 'administrator' with the level you want .

Hope this helps

3. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

4. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

The thing with using a plugin though is that file is going to get scanned every time you have a page load. With the file edit, it's a two second fix with no additional overhead.

5. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

True, but the overhead is very negligible. Plus, I figured the plugin was a better choice for handholding. The first search result contains the same info in both our posts.

6. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thank you all. I'll try to follow your instructions.

@MrBrian
    I did search all over forums but all I that I found were some half-answers. At least to me they sounded as half-answers. Thanks once again.

7. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually it is line #1201. At least in my wpmu-functions file. WPMU 1.3.

Cheers

About this Topic