The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

BuddyPress handed to community (45 posts)

1. nocomment
    Posted 16 years ago #

The people over at
    <BuddyPress have decided to hand the code over to the community, as they do not have time to pursue it.

BuddyPress was going to be a social networking suite of plugins for WordPress Mu and I would imagine there are a lot of people who would be keen on seeing this taken ahead.

Sorry if I am replicating information here, but this is still fairly recent news and may not have been taken up yet.

I hope a group will be able to take this on.

Many thanks.

2. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

thanks

3. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

despite the developer's advice, i loaded this to my site. This plugin group is pretty near done, IMHO. Some things need to be cleaned up, but overall, i have't gotten any serious errors.

4. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

This is great news for he community. I would have loved to see buddypress working, but I only needed addons from it, so I'm helped with this too.

I have placed the extented profile and core packages into the mu-plugins and unzipped them.

I see the "settings" tab with the "buddy press" under it, and only the text:

Core Settings
    BuddyPress core settings will be administered from this area.

I'm doing something wrong I guess because there are screenshots of this plugin...

5. bloggus
    Posted 16 years ago #

The extended profile would be interesting to see, since it was practicly ready as it was reported in the progress-page.

6. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bloggus, did you also tested it already ?

7. nocomment
    Posted 16 years ago #

There is also this, (as mentioned by andrea_r on her blog):

http://xsnp.livelyblog.com/

which seems to be doing something similar.

Is anyone thinking of having a look at BuddyPress?

Demonicume - has your server blown up yet?

8. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have to check that one, but it does not have a extended user profile plugin ?

9. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

Nocomment, xiando's plugin suite is great to be sure, but it doesn't work with subdirectories, not completely.

i uploaded it and haven't had any issues. i plan to rearrange the dashboard a bit, but everything else is lovely. i don't know how to do SVN or keep up a trac or change log - so i'll release my changes as i get 'um.

10. sheatsb
    Posted 16 years ago #

Andy Peatling created a Google Code project of it.

It's at:

http://code.google.com/p/buddypress/

11. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the tip I'll try this out.

12. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

unfortunately xsnp doesn't work on subdirs. :-(

13. kane357
    Posted 16 years ago #

How do you install buddy press???? I cant figure it out.

14. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

As far as I understand, it is not out of beta and not really working. That is why the author handed it to the community to fix.

Trent

15. kane357
    Posted 16 years ago #

It does work, there are people saying they did not changes and it worked.

There is something I have to do to get it to work, it looks like creating database's, but there is no read me as to what the sql is to create it.

16. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Demonicume do you think the subdirectory issues with xsnp are insurmountable or are they actually quite minor?

17. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

kane - it's a plugin. Drop it in the mu-plugins folder and it works. No need ot create seperate dbs.

Steve & demonicume - I'm trying to carve out some time to look over both.

I'm surprised no one has stepped up to manage this project.

18. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Its something I'd spend time on but work is crazy and I'm fighting depression at the moment and the last thing I want to do in the evenings is wade into someone else's code and try to work out what is going on. Plus I'm trying to get up to speed on a new server I'm building and finding that Ubutunu 6 LTS is a totally different kettle of fish to Suse 9.0!

19. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ubuntu 6 ? Take 7 and stay away form Suse by default ;)

20. jbasdf
    Posted 16 years ago #

I work with an international organization that is very interested in adding social features to wpmu. How would we go about getting involved in this project?

21. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sticking with 6 as its got Long Term Support. I'm dumping Suse for the very obvious (Novell) reasons!

22. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. But I've posted a rentacoder request here. a few people have shown interest. If anyone here is interested in finishing this project for some cash - i can be hit at admin at realsportsbloggers dot com.

because of work, family and military responsibilities, I just don't have the time to finish it myself. I also haven't seen any indication that anyone will step up and finish it. So, I'm willing to pay for a solution. My solution is slightly different than what the original author intended, but i'll gladly release any work that follows the general idea of the plugins.

thanks guys.

Curt

23. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

We had a look at it but there was literally just too much left to do.

24. sheatsb
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, I asked Andy if he had made a project of it in the first place, and he gave me admin access to the Google Code site. I just got slammed with work, and I'm looking for someone to take over the Google Code side while I work on it when I can. I can be contacted at hi.everybody [at] sheatsb.com.

25. nocomment
    Posted 16 years ago #

Anyone interested should check out the note at

http://buddypress.com/

which seems to say that Automattic has taken the project on, which should be good news for all.

26. JuanManuel
    Posted 16 years ago #

nice!!!

27. apeatling
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey guys, I only just now came across this thread. I've been hired by Automattic to work on BuddyPress full time. This means I can really put some solid time into the project and get it ramped back up again.

I'm glad lots of you have tried out what I have so far. Feel free to give me any feedback on what is there. The database problems people were having were because the installation function has the SQL execution line commented out... :P

Hopefully the buddypress.com site will have more info up really soon, so keep a look out there.

Cheers,
    Andy

28. MrWiblog
    Posted 16 years ago #

That's excellent news - it's a great direction for Automattic to grow MU.

29. nocomment
    Posted 16 years ago #

Congratulations to Andy Peatling on the new job. You were obviously doing something right, so keep up the good work.

The eyes of the world are now watching you, so no pressure there!

Matt Mullenweg has also made a note of things:

http://ma.tt/2008/03/backing-buddypress/

30. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm happy he got the gig. but i'm not sure how i feel about the implications.

About this Topic