The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrade from 1.3 to 1.3.2 (4 posts)

1. politicalbear
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have searched and read and searched and read, I even found my way over to the advanced user forums....understandably, this issue isn't dealt with there.

This is my first upgrade/version/update for my WMPU site. And it came out the day I was actually kind of happy with my site. :( (thank you for all of your helpful posts for us noobs- andrea, dr., luna, demonicume...and several others)

Could someone help me with a play by play of how to upgrade? Or maybe even how to use trac correctly?

2. fogster
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with Trac, so I can't help you there.

For upgrades, I simply BACK EVERYTHING UP first (make a directory outside your web path, and just download the latest version and copy it into place. I wouldn't swear that this is the proper way, but it seems to work fine. Just remember: BACK EVERYTHING UP first, so that you don't have to worry so much about messing up.

In more specific details:

The latest.tar.gz file will extract to a directory called wordpress-mu-1.3.2/. In my case, I use /var/www/blogs/htdocs/ as the base of my install, so I went to /var/www/blogs/ and downloaded it, extracted it, and then ran "cp -Ru wordpress-mu-1.3.2/* htdocs/" to copy the updates files into place.

And then you just go through and make sure everything still works.

I'll let someone else come in and say whether or not this is the "official" way of doing it--I'm not sure.

3. politicalbear
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thank you. Stupid question I am sure, but what is cp-Ru?

Below are a couple of the good links for upgrading as well, borrowed from Andrea, research she did another noob from another post.

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=6356
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=263

So, here is my attempt at the play by play that I am going to do.

1. Backup my site, then check my backup, then at least want to check it again.

2. Replace all files except- mu-plugins, plugins, themes
    (I know something is wrong with this...please help--what files do I not replace?)

3. Replace my hacks- 1

4.Check site, then have a beer.

4. jlencion
    Posted 16 years ago #

@politicalbear: cp -Ru is the shell command for copy with the R and u flags. R does a recursive copy and u only copies updated files.

More info

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by politicalbear
  • Latest reply from jlencion