The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

I need to install with www (5 posts)

1. enduro8
    Posted 16 years ago #

1) Due to reasons outside my control I can not install WPMU on a non www version of my TLD. Please do not waste your breath and reply with anything that contradicts that. It simply can not be done in this case.

2) I want it to live as part of my site and not on a sub domain.

3) I am installing using subdirectories

with that said, is there ANY way I can use this product? Or do i need to dump it and go with something else. Standard Wordpress certainly works fine on a normal www install.

Please let me know if there are any options to use WPMU that does not go against any of my 3 requirements above. If I need to hack it up, let me know where.

2. urbanor
    Posted 16 years ago #

I can't think of why that shouldn't work. I'm currently using subdirectories on MU with no problems. As far as installing it with www, I think you should be fine there as well.

3. enduro8
    Posted 16 years ago #

When you install with www, it complains and tells you that you can't do it. Then it just spews 404 and redirect errors left and right for me.

4. jackiedobson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Rudeness aside, a quick search shows this thread:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5752

I can understand needing the 'www' in there. Just please realise that if your server is at least not responding to the non-www requests and forwarding those folks on to the site with the 'www' in there, you're loosing 50% of your visitors. The server needs to be at least responding to both with and without.

5. enduro8
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am not losing any traffic, but thanks for trying to throw the 2 cents in there.

Odd that I missed that other thread, as I was searching around on this issue for a least a hour (in general not just this particular forum).

I basically already tried what they were talking about on that other thread months ago, but I will continue the conversation over there if needed.

About this Topic