The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MU the correct choice? (8 posts)

1. kjetilgf
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi
    I wonder if WP MU would be a good choice for setting up a site - much like this: http://www.dolcevita.no

Actually, I'd like to migrate that whole site over to a CMS, and I'd like to use WP if possible. As I've understood, I can't achieve this with a normal WP installation. Because:
    I need a site...
    - with multiple post pages
    - where excerpts of each post appears automatically on a "group" frontpage (like in one normal blog - but I need more than one).

As an example:
    Dolcevita.no is a guide to Italy, where the Italy subpages are the region pages - and under them you'll find the pages about local places. (Eg. Under Italy: Toscana -> Siena)
    I need the ability to post new stuff on each of the region pages (Toscana, Umbria, Sicilia). On for instance the Toscana page, each post about local places (like Siena) would be accessible via "Read more" links.
    Furthermore, on each region's page (like "Toscana") I would like just Toscana sidebar elements to appear.
    The very best would then be if the headlines an an image thumbnail from the latest Italy posts could appear automagically on the very front page.

In addition there are a handful of other main pages (like the "Italy" page) where I would like to post things, but these are more static.

Is WP MU a tool for me, or should I look for something else, like Joomla,...? I'd highly appreciate any suggestions?

I'm correct when I think that this is impossible with a normal WP installation, right? (To use WP, I believe the only solution would be setting up the regions as threads in a forum - using the SimpleForum plugin or the like...)

In hopes that I've managed to explain myself...
    Thanks,
    Kjetil Flekkoy

2. kjetilgf
    Posted 16 years ago #

PS
    I should have added that I know WP quite well still learning, though), quite some css - and for the php, MySql and Apache I got people to help. Question is if WP MU is the right tool to think of.
    Thanks,

3. mark-k
    Posted 16 years ago #

IMHO all what you have specified can be achieved with a standalone WP, by smart usage of categories, sub-categories and metadata.

By applying different styling to each category and subcategory you can go a long way toward what you described.

In addition it will be easier to have a site search and use tagging for cross-regional information. This is something which is harder to achieve if you use MU and make every region a blog.

4. kjetilgf
    Posted 16 years ago #

Great, Mark
    - if I can manage this just using WP, nothing's better! WP MU is a bit complicated.
    I'll have to ask people about the WP forums how to, but just one thing:
    What you have in mind is something like making a category for each region and then set up each region's page so it shows only posts for that category?

(If so, I just have to find the right mix of theme, plugins and categories - and that's a question for the WP people.)
    Thanks,

5. mark-k
    Posted 16 years ago #

Exactly.

6. kjetilgf
    Posted 16 years ago #

Fine
    Work to do
    Thanks for helping a newbee around :-)

7. jackiedobson
    Posted 16 years ago #

You may want to look into the function the_except and using that on your group front page. That function only displays part of the post and would probably work better for what you're trying to do.

8. kjetilgf
    Posted 16 years ago #

OK - thanks
    Guess I have to read something about basic php functions as well.
    One time has to be the first.
    :-) Kj

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by kjetilgf
  • Latest reply from kjetilgf