The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Baby Scrapbooking/Journaling site built on MU (16 posts)

1. beaulebens
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi all, I wanted to throw up the site I've been working on for a while which uses WPMU as it's core. It's *heavily* modified, but there are *no* core hacks (which I've quite proud of).

http://mybabyourbaby.com/

WPMU provides all internal user and "book" (blog) management, with extended information on profiles, the addition of a custom avatar system, very heavily modified posting process, plus a *bunch* of other stuff. Normal users can't even get at the traditional /wp-admin/ stuff, because it's totally replaced with our own dashboard system that handles only the bits that they need access to.

We've also got some forums which are powered by bbPress, and that's completely integrated includin avatars, profiles, etc.

Comments are welcome!

Thanks,

Beau

2. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Cute implementation - brilliant niche too!

Love the idea of baby books.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well done, it's very nice. :) I'm impressed.

(yum yum baby cheeks!)

4. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

WOW! Guys, you did an AWESOME JOB!

Fabulous stuff. Very very impressive.

I love that you made a point of simplifying the UI and making it tight tight tight for your target demo!

Good job!

5. beaulebens
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for your comments people, I'm glad we're not the only ones who like it :)

BTW: I'm hoping to release a number of plugins based on the customizations and things that we did for the site, so I'll be sure to post info on those in the forums here once I get them out.

And in case anyone is wondering, the site took 2 people (1 designer, 1 developer) around 6 months to build, working on it (very!) full time.

Beau

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

beau - i believe it. :D Can't wait to see the plugins too.

7. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

One of the best I've ever come across and great idea!

Trent

8. transom
    Posted 16 years ago #

Beautiful site - inspiring and raised the bar for the Home Owners Association site that I am just starting on now.

Looking forward to seeing the plugins you developed. I have a couple that I have started that will be needed for my project that I just starting to wrap my head around now.

9. beaulebens
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yay, Matt just mentioned us on ma.tt: http://ma.tt/2008/03/mybabyourbabycom-on-mu/

And no... those plugins aren't available yet, sorry. I'm going to be traveling for the next 2-3 weeks as well, so it's going to be a while still - sorry.

10. jbasdf
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is awesome and really shows off just how powerful Wordpress is. I'm looking forward to the plugins.

11. daltonrooney
    Posted 16 years ago #

Congratulations, Beau, it's a fantastic site and it shows off your talents and the flexibility of WordPress quite well. Between the plugins you're releasing and the coming of BuddyPress (don't know if you based any of your work on that code), the time for quickly deployed custom social networking sites is coming soon.

Can't wait to learn more about those plugins! Even if you just wanted to talk a little bit about what they do as a teaser, I'd be really excited to hear about it.

12. wildilocks
    Posted 16 years ago #

That looks amazing! Really impressive to see what WordPress can do and how flexible it is. The social networking times, they are a'changing!

13. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Very nice, and certainly inspiring! I just wanted to add that I am drooling at the thought of you releasing some plugins based on your customizations, as I'm sure many who have seen what you two have are also doing.

I am building my first MU site and yearn for it to eventually have some integrated functionality for helping groups of people to collaborate as your users seem to be able to do with photos.

I am anxiously awaiting any teasers...

14. kaitou
    Posted 15 years ago #

dear beaulebens,

i would like to hear from you when your plugins released.
    anyway, it's been a month since u said u'd released em :D

i'm still waiting for those great plugins :)
    hope u'd release them soon :D

15. ehab
    Posted 15 years ago #

The best MU site out there :)

16. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

please excuse my posting this here.

@beaulebens

i'd like to discuss some paid work with you or your theme designer. I'm looking to do a major overhaul of my site, to include a theme overhaul by a real designer (as not my hacks) at the end of this summer. hit me at admin at realsportsbloggers dot com if you have any availability for a paid gig with a release sometime in august. i do not have a dedicated designer of my own.

of course, this gig is open to anyone who thinks they can deliver.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by beaulebens
  • Latest reply from demonicume