The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPmu release vs WP (7 posts)

1. jehanproc
    Posted 16 years ago #

hello, I see a WPmu 1.3.3 release and a WP 2.3.3 !
    are the code that far different ?
    Hence I wonder which user capabilities and roles applies
    in http://codex.wordpress.org/Working_with_WordPress#User_and_Author_Features
    there are roles&capabilities for WP 2.0+ and user level for 1.X , which one applies to WPmu ?
    In fact, in WPmu users seems to be global (not attach to a specific sub-blog). I would like a "sub-blog" user admin to be able to administrate users subscribed to its blogs.
    Thanks.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

WPMU 1.3.3 = wp 2.3.3

User and author roles are the same on individual blogs as they are for WP 2.x. (so roles and capabilites)

EXCEPTION: If a user sigsn up for just a username and NOT a blog, they will be a subscriber on the main blog. Otherwise, when they sign up and get a blog they are an admin on that blog.

Soemone *can* sign up as just a user, and then a sub-blog admin can add that user to their own blog and give them whatever level they want.

3. jehanproc
    Posted 16 years ago #

OK,

but how a sub-blog admin can know the full list a sign up users ?
    If the sub-log admin wants to add the author role to newly signed up users, he must a least know that they have already signed-up and know their email address in order to write it in its sub-blog admin users page (
    sub-blog/wp-admin/users.php) by filling the form "add user from the community" with the mail of a main blog user subscriber. Unfortunatly, when that sub-blog admin "search users" he only sees users with role in his own blogs, not all (main blog) users !?

4. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's a privacy issue. If you were able to search the whole userbase by username then people with common names would be added to every blog.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep, that;s right.

So... why can;t a potential author go and ask the blog that they want to sign up on? When they leave a comment, that blog admin will get their email.

Also, you may be interested in this plugin:
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Sidebar-Add-Users

6. jehanproc
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Sidebar-Add-Users could be a solution, although I would prefer that the sub-blog admin decide who is author and not users themself ...
    Anyway, I cannot "see" that sidebar Add-user :-( . I did activate the plugin and do see it and drag&drop it in the default theme widgets sidebar1, but I don't have any sidebar showing up in the main blog :-( . Or that widget could be activated on a per sub-blog theme ? unfortunalty, the widget Add-user doesn't appears on sub-blogs (wp-admin/widgets.php) !?
    sorry if all these is a bit confusing, but I must admit that I'am lost .
    I wonder if my installation config is sane, because moving from main blog site admin to sub-blog site admin doesn't work sometime, could you just confirm me that this .htaccess file is correct for a document root BASE installation (www/var/html) and a sub-directories (not sub-domain) installation.
    thanks.

[root@blogs /var/www/html]
    $ cat .htaccess
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep, looks correct.

also, sometimes some thing don't work on subdirectory installs. No idea why.

You could probably change that plugin slightly so users who sign themselves up are a lower level than an author. then the blog admin can bump them up if needed.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by jehanproc
  • Latest reply from andrea_r