The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

About Switching to SVN... (5 posts)

1. jeanniebeannie
    Posted 16 years ago #

Does SVN touch the database? I wouldn't think so but I want to make sure before I screw things up. Here's my situation:

I have a personal project I started a long time ago with WPMU and never finished. It's currently using 1.3.1. Since first starting the project I've been turned on to SVN. Now, I've done the ol' switcheroo-to-SVN for regular WP, but every time I've done it, I've had subfolders to play with. I've got my WPMU in the root (public_html) folder.

So what I'm thinking is to

1. upgrade to the latest version manually
    2. backup the database
    3. do a fresh install via SVN
    4. restore the database
    5. restore plugins

That should work, right? And be the easiest way?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Pretty much.

SVN won't modify the database, however if there has been an upgrade to the database (within MU), then the database would be upgraded like it would be now if you uploaded the new files.

So in short, no, SVN just updates files. But, in the big picture (after the files are updated) the MU will "do its thing" and upgrade as users enter their site.

One point to consider is that if you make any changes to the core files, they could very well be overwritten when a file is updated.

Some people hack the source to death, some just use what hooks are available, and some do both.

3. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

Doing an "svn update -r 1209" will be ok, but I'm going to start merging WP 2.5 shortly so things could get very unstable!

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Really? No. Say it isn't so. :D

Thanks for the warning. ;)

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I saw all the trac activity in the feed and got excited. :)

Although I don't envy your job. ;)

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by jeanniebeannie
  • Latest reply from andrea_r