The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sitewide Feed Plugin (26 posts)

1. itdamager
    Posted 18 years ago #

One of the most highly requested features of WPMU is a feed that displays the latest posts from all of the blogs on your WPMU powered site. Here is a plugin that does just that.

WPMU Sitewide Feed Plugin

2. Stapleton
    Posted 18 years ago #

This is a great plugin, thanks a lot itdamager!

3. kalam
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thank you very much.
    It worked :-)

4. Stapleton
    Posted 18 years ago #

This plugin helps a lot, I'm just curious if it would be possible to filter out any post containing "Hello world!".

5. itdamager
    Posted 18 years ago #

All new blogs with Hello World posts have last_updated set in wp_blogs to a zero filled value and are ignored. If a Hello World post is showing, my guess would be because someone hit save or edit on the post which updates the last_updated setting in wp_blogs to a valid value causing it to show in the feed.

6. Stapleton
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yes, I guess you're right.
    Thanks

7. blips
    Posted 18 years ago #

This plugin works great, good job itdamager.!!

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm getting a 404 on this when I try to load it. Do we have to make any changes to the htaccess file or anything?

edit: Some quick messing around with the htaccess file doesn't seem to affect it. I saw the note about making sure you have the latest version. I'm running 542.

Thanks,
    -drmike

9. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

It looks like this was working well... I have the feed displaying on the front page of my site. I was worried that it wasn't picking up the newest entry, but thanks to itdamager's response above, I understand that the person edited the hello-world entry.
    However, it didn't pick up the second entry in my own blog, but shows the first one okay... Does this plugin only display one entry per user?

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sacto, did you do anything special to get it to be found? I'm still getting a 404 on it. :(

11. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

I put it in my mu-plugins folder & directed my reader to "http://ecancerawareness.com/blog/wpmu-feed/"

Somewhere along the line I changed the file name from wpmu-feed.php to wpmufeed.php & it still picked it up fine. After I realized that it's not picking up my latest entry, I changed the file name back. I just now posted yet another entry & it's not showing up on the front page... :(

12. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmmm, that's what I'm doing and I'm still getting the 404.

Can you stick up your htaccess somewhere please?

13. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

which one? my main one only has two lines (to use index.php & redirect 404 to main url) & the one from the main blog directory is saved for you here:
    http://ecancerawareness.com/htaccess_blog.txt
    and the one from the wp-inst/ dir is saved here:
    http://ecancerawareness.com/htaccess_wp-inst.txt
    I didn't change either of those...

14. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

SactoEric, how did you show it on your frontpage? Through an rss feed plugin or widget?

15. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

An rss reader... though the jury is still out as to whether it's working or not...

anyone know whether an entry will remain if I add an entry as a test & delete it? I don't want a test entry to be on the front page, but I have a feeling it would be, so I haven't tried it yet...

16. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

An aside here. Sacto, I've noticed that you've not corrected your comment-post.php line in there. Do comments on your site work? I know that this has been an issue for others.

Thanks by the way for the post. I'll take a look at it shortly.

17. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

comments don't work for the theme I made, though the original theme (classic) still works I think, and I believe they work for the others... I'll have to take a closer look & make sure they actually do!
    what's the correction that needs to be made?

**edited to add that I just tried adding a comment to my blog, which uses a different theme & it didn't post, plus it redirected me back to the main blog (http://www.ecancerawareness.com/blog/wp-comments-post/)
    ugh!

18. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

sacto, use these htaccess files and your feed will work, along with comments and image uploads.

19. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks itdamager! Do those replace the entire .htaccess files, or just parts? What do I need to change to make it work w/ my install being in a "/blog/" directory? At first I got a file not found error, so I added "/blog" to a couple of lines & got it to show up, it hangs when I refresh my front page w/ the rss feed & when I click on Comments on one of my blogs... & some images I linked to from one blog are only displaying the alt tags - the images are the screen shots from some of the themes.

**edited to add that I'm able to add comments in one blog. The theme I made off of the classic theme still doesn't allow me to leave a comment... And the rss feed on the front page is showing the same two entries as before, but my latest ones. & the theme screen shot pics aren't showing up either...

20. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

Replace them. Make backup copies first if you want.

I've never tried it with the blogs in a subdir, but I'd imagine if you edited the top level htaccess rules to include the extra path, it might work. or, it might be really funky...

At any rate, your problems seem htaccess related but take into consideration subdir installs of wpmu might be a bit buggy and possibly compounding the problem.

21. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

It would work with subdirectory. I have done it before with ITdamager's .htaccess.

Put /blog in front of all your rewrites. If your subdirectory is named blog.

Also at the top portion you need this.

RewriteBase /blog/

# Rewrite http://www.domain.com to domain.com
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_http://www.domain.com/blog} ^www\.(.*)
    RewriteRule ^(.*) http://%1/$1 [R,L]

Good to GO! :)

22. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nice! I had replaced the files & added the paths last night when I posted, but just now replaced the URLs for the images I had linked to in my blog entry & added a new entry & it looks like all that's left is getting the comments field for my customized theme to show up. I'll probably have to try modifying a different theme. Thanks everyone!

23. Melodiefabrieknl
    Posted 17 years ago #

Doesn't work for me. I have trouble with those mu-plugins. I don't need to activate them, right?

24. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Right. Might help us help you if you tell us what you mean by "have trouble".

25. carnold
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am interested in this plugn b/c it seems i can display post from blogs. You can go here, http://mytimewithgod.net/blogs, to see that i am trying to display last recent post under updated blogs. So, how do i get this to display on my /blogs page? I see above that you may have to use a rss feed/plugin? Confused on how to use this plugin.

26. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

The sitewide feed does just that - creates a feed with all posts from all blogs. to get the results to show up on the main page, you'll have to parse the feed to display it how you like.

Or, to show most recent posts, I use one of the most recent posts plugin. I know other people use the feed, but that's what I do.

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by itdamager
  • Latest reply from andrea_r