The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Buddypress - What do you think (22 posts)

1. blogono
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi,
    I just noticed that the Buddypress-Project is out.

Anybody who has already installed it? please show off your projects ...

what are your impressions on this cool blog community feature? was the installation hard? any problems you had to solve with other plugins installed??

i dont know if i should install it.

at http://blogono.com i am currently handling the community-thing with bbpress and dont know if buddypress and bbpress are compatible .. ??

2. Jowah
    Posted 15 years ago #

Tried it, it still have lot of bugs and things to fix(image error on default home page) - add (full admin interface etc)

So, guess you have to wait :p

3. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

From what I've read so far (haven't tried it myself,) BuddyPress seems to convert your MU site into a social networking site as opposed to just adding some social networking features to WPMU. So I don't think you can install it on your existing WPMU sites as it will completely change how it operates.

In saying that, I'm interested to know whether you can just enable some of the BuddyPress plugins instead of the core ones. The extended profile and private messaging plugins seem useful.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

You need the core BP plugin, but the different add-ons are optional.

Groups
    Friends

All those are extras.

it's important to note that BP relegates your blog as a secondary feature, not the main point of the user's location on your system.

I would almost be interested in adding it to an existing (test) system just to see what happens. :D Although I should note that it is stil far from complete and working. But I was pleased to see they opened up shop.

5. Jowah
    Posted 15 years ago #

There's nothing fancy up yet, lot of errors and missing stuff :p

6. blogono
    Posted 15 years ago #

thank you all for the answers!!

i will give it a try with a test-installation

7. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was excited about it when I heard WP was officially backing the project and bought it to life, which actually meant WPMU was getting some attention. While it's great that it happened, the disappointment hit me as I read the outline of the project and what it aims to become. Basically it turns a blog from myblog.blogdomain.com to myblog.blogdomain.com/blog, essentially making what was once the epicenter of WPMU (blogging), a secondary feature. While friends, groups, messages would be great additions to WPMU in order to connect bloggers - the changes it makes, I think, alter the purpose of a platform built for blogging.

I just had hoped it would focus on turning WPMU more social instead of transforming it into a myspace.

8. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was hoping it would turn WPMU into something more like LJ - so the blog part is not actually depreciated but actually becomes the core round which other things hang (like groups, comments between users etc).

9. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

A better place to be bringing that up would be on the buddypress mailing list. That way the folks planning the plugins see your opinions.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, it's open, so soemone *could* take the work they've done and keep the blog as the focus and make the profile secondary. ;)

11. apeatling
    Posted 15 years ago #

Moving of the blog from front and center is all done in the theme files.

This basically means that if you want to keep the blog front and center, it's just a case of editing the theme.

I see no reason why we couldn't create two bundled themes - one that moves the blog secondary, and another that keeps it as the main focus.

The blog would still be moved under the "blog" tab in the administration interface, but that is mainly just to stop tab overload.

Andy

12. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andy I was wondering about support once a release is completed. Are you going to have a bbPress install for a forum for support or do it out of the WPMU forums?

Trent

13. apeatling
    Posted 15 years ago #

Trent, I'm not sure about that one yet. We'll decided that when the time comes.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Doh, thanks for clearing that up. :D Serves me right for doing a quick skim when I'm tired.

15. kornpong
    Posted 15 years ago #

ฺBuddyPress same as Hi5, Facebook, Bebo, Fubar, Cyworld, Friendster, etc?

16. apeatling
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not really. It's mostly targeted at smaller niche social networks. For example, schools, colleges, sports teams, your neighborhood, events.

The code is also open source and we are aiming for data portability across networks.

17. freshestnoob
    Posted 15 years ago #

Really, I would have preferred if Buddypress had been built as a social utility from the ground up rather than being one big alteration of WPMU.

There's a good chance it might overshadow WPMU. Who doesnt love anything that smells like a community these days?

18. babylon2233
    Posted 15 years ago #

Will it be integrated with OpenSocial?

19. ehab
    Posted 15 years ago #

^^ Not so hopeful about that.

But core WP features would be so nice !

I read all the lazy and interesting conversations in the mailing list and its pretty fun. I didn't rush to the SVN and did the install though, too many things on my hands right now.

Would love to see if anyone here is keeping an updated version in the trac.

20. ehab
    Posted 15 years ago #

^^ Not so hopeful about that.

But core WP features would be so nice !

I read all the lazy and interesting conversations in the mailing list and its pretty fun. I didn't rush to the SVN and did the install though, too many things on my hands right now.

Would love to see if anyone here is keeping an updated version in the trac.

21. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Everyone can also follow the new "project status" link.

http://trac.buddypress.org/wiki/project-status

Trent

22. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for that. Now we have something to point endusers to and tell them that those features are coming.

About this Topic