The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

unable to view uploaded images / thumbnails (23 posts)

1. nadavkav
    Posted 15 years ago #

i just recently found out i am unable to see the thumbnails of uploaded images (and the images too)
    i'm using hebrew WPmu 1.3.2

here is my .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /wordpress/

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

i am using ImageManager and NextGen Gallery plugins just fine to upload and embed images in post.

it's the built-in upload that does not work :-(

i read alooooot of threads on this forum, but none of the tweaks helped :-(

any ideas ?

kindly,
    nadav :-)

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Please review the debugging script linked to from the readme file included with your download. You'll find a list of information on what to include within your post here and suggestions on what to look at first. (ie don't include the htaccess file unless asked as we all have one and we don't need another one, thanks anyway, but do look at your error logs, include a link to your site as well as a specific place where we can see what is occurring, etc.)

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/README.txt
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_WPMU

3. nadavkav
    Posted 15 years ago #

it seems like the wpmu is unable to convert the "username"... to /wp-content/blogs.dir/UserID/...

what could be causing something like this ?

i read the README and turned debugging on but i do not see the error.log file created. so i'm not sure what errors are there.

i use FF+Firebug to see the
    http://tikshuv.org.il/wordpress/nadav/files/2008/04/ac.png
    gets internal error 500

remarking
    #RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    #RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$1 [L]

displays this file
    http://www.tikshuv.org.il/wordpress/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/2008/04/ac.thumbnail.png

4. nadavkav
    Posted 15 years ago #

anybody have any ideas ?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

turns off al the plugins and try it.
    check all the error logs you can find.

6. nadavkav
    Posted 15 years ago #

i turned them off and it still persists :-(
    should i remove them completely from the folder ?

i do not control the server's apache and php setting since it is a hosted service. so can i turn some debug messages on my own ?

i have several sites (CMS) on the same account in different folders. so maybe .htaccess from a different folder is affecting WPMU ?

can some one post a working sample of some of the critical setting files i should have for this to work ? (php.ini , apache.conf, .htaccess ? )

7. jeffwong
    Posted 15 years ago #

I got the same problem ;(

8. jeffwong
    Posted 15 years ago #

9. gerbiloz
    Posted 15 years ago #

any news about this problem? oO

10. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

I can see thumbnails in my media library both on Manage Media and if I click on the Media button when I'm writing a post

11. gerbiloz
    Posted 15 years ago #

SteveAtty, what version of MU do you use? And have you ever have some problems with thumbnails after upload?

12. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm on 2.6.5 running in subdirectory mode.

I dont think I've ever had any problems with thumbnails not showing properly

13. gerbiloz
    Posted 15 years ago #

maybe it's because i use 2.6.5 subdomain version?

14. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, because thats actually the way more people run it. There must be something odd going on. Are the files actually there in the folders?

Have you tried using Firebug and seeing if you've got any odd errors on the page?

15. gerbiloz
    Posted 15 years ago #

yeap, image files are in the folder. you can see it right there - http://www.tf2.lv/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2009/01/fog.jpg

i'll try firebug and post here the results, hope you'll help me to figure it out )

16. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Are you using a theme that pulls image thumbnails for featured posts?

17. gerbiloz
    Posted 15 years ago #

nope, i'm using BP def. theme. there is only avatars on main page..

18. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Using BP would have been helpful info from the start.

Turn it off. Try the image thing again. you need to isolate if it's WPMU that has the issues, or if BP is interfering, *especially* if you are using MU from trunk.

19. clinicalthinker
    Posted 15 years ago #

I had the same problem.
    2 different domains

I worked for 2 weeks trying to resolve the problem and finally simply gave up and did a fresh install which corrected the problem on one domain ... the other just sits until I get back to it.

I could see the uploaded images on the server but they did not show up in the media file while posting.

20. keithllc
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have had this problem for months. I'm a novice at best. When I right click on a broken thumbnail in my post and check properties it seems that the media library is looking for the folder as follows:

http://hearinglossnation.com/files/2009/03/example.jpg

If you move files/2009/03/example.jpg to the root which is where image library is looking for images instead of the default path below it will work.

http://hearinglossnation.com/wp-copntent/blogs.dir/files/2009/03/example.jpg

It is hardly a solution, more like an observation i noticed. I hope someone finds a solution.

I guess the question is why the image library has decided to look at the root instead if blog.dir etc... I can say that I have not touched my htaccess. I wouldn't dare out of fear of messing something up ;)

21. keithllc
    Posted 15 years ago #

Below is a thread I found from andrea r giving advice. I tried this at it worked perfectly. I was missing this entire line of code she mentions below. I can upload images into my pages and post now :) :) :) Thank you Andrea R! If you have same issue try this!

andrea_r

Allrighty, verify for me that you have this line in .htaccess (NOT htacces.dist)

RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

Should be the 3rd on under #upload files heading.

If that is there, then there's nothing wrong with your rewrite rules.

22. archik100
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have the same issue. I also have the line above in my .htaccess.

Rewrite rules do work on my installation. Is there anything else that might be making this issue?

23. hiying
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have the same issue.
    mark.

About this Topic