The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Subdomains not being setup for users! (7 posts)

1. mightybutton
    Posted 16 years ago #

I often do presentations about blogging and decided to setup mu wordpress on BlogCram.com. My intentions are to allow the people I present the ability to have a subdomain off of BlogCram in order to play with wordpress before hosting it themselves.

Here is the problem I am running into right now: When someone signs up on BlogCram they are given a username and password to be a contributor to the main domain. This is the last thing I want. I am trying to figure out how to setup them up with a subdomain to blog on.

I've gone through the admin panel with a fine comb but no success. I do not doubt that this is a quick fix, but I cannot figure it out. Any insight would be appreciative!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"When someone signs up on BlogCram they are given a username and password to be a contributor to the main domain. "

Then you must be allowing only *user* signups.

Go to Site Admin -> Options, and next to "Allow new registrations" make sure you clicked on :
    - Enabled for all. Blogs and user accounts can be created.

When a user signs up, make sure they are directed to wp-signup.php. If they are using a "register" link in your sidebar, that's not it.

3. mightybutton
    Posted 16 years ago #

@andrea_r: Thanks for your reply. I've done this and still have an issue with the user being signed up under the main domain.

Try it out, go to: blogcram.com/wp-signup.php. You should see what I am lamenting about. Any suggestions would be very helpful!

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's only asking for a username, not a blog name. You must have the wrong button checked. Please go double-check. :)

edit: take a screenshot of that admin options area and link me to it.

5. mightybutton
    Posted 16 years ago #

@andrea_r: here's a link to my screenshot: http://mytestsite.com/admin.jpg

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

okay, that is weird. :) Just by going through the signup I can tell it's just getting a username, NOT a blogname like it should.

things to try:

- select something else (like disabled), save and then select the right one again and re-save it.

- check in the database to make sure it stored to correct option. Look in the wp_sitemeta table for a field called "registration". It should say "all". If it doesn't there's your reason.

also, have you tried creating a blog manually in the backend?
    And lastly, I need to know if you hacked anything or added any plugin that affect signups.

7. wengkies
    Posted 16 years ago #

andrea thanks for you help appreciate it..

hopefully this one will solved my problem..

I did install the new wpmu on my test sevr.. and I stumbld
    here, I lookd into the table [wp_sitemeta] and ther was no "registration" field, is there any tturial on how to insert the "registration" field in the table wp_sitemeta? maybe thats my problem thats why i can't create users and blogs even though the mu installation was successful and error free..

ok TIA guys..

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by mightybutton
  • Latest reply from wengkies