The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Widgets as an ‘mu-plugin’ (12 posts)

1. mrball
    Posted 18 years ago #

The widgets code has been released for public consumption as a Wordpress plugin and appears to work out of the box for Wordpress MU. However, this would still require a user to ‘activate’ the plugin before use as opposed to on wordpress.com where the plugin is enabled site-wide. This is relatively simple to achieve.

2. amanzi
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks - would you like to post your solution here in the forums as well as on your site?

Cheers.

3. mrball
    Posted 18 years ago #

1. Copy the widgets directory and everything in it to /wp-inst/wp-content/mu-plugins/.
    2. Download widgets.txt, rename it to widgets.php, and copy it to /wp-inst/wp-content/mu-plugins/ (not in the widgets directory).
  4. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

5. karms
    Posted 17 years ago #

sorry to bring this old thread up again - but I am failing at the mu widgets installation. A couple of questions..

Does the widets directory get copied to ONLY the mu-plugins directory? If so, how do you activate it, as it does not show up in the activation list. It also does not show up in the presentation tab, and I am using the default MU theme.

Any help appreciated.

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

The activation list is only for those plugins installed in the plugin subdirectory. The ones that go into mu-plugins are those plugins that are turned on for everybody which is where you would want to place the widget zip.

if it's not showing up in the presentation tab, you may have forgotten the step where you replace a couple of the files of the classic and default themes. Also you may want to check what you did with the scriptaculous subdirectory because that had to be moved as well.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

7. karms
    Posted 17 years ago #

ahh - back to the drawing board then.. thanks drmike.

8. karms
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok - I know I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be. I have now placed all the files where they supposed to be. Still nothing when accessing the presentation tab.

I see under site admins/themes I have 3 themes listed. Classic, Default, and Wordpress MU Home Default. All are listed as active NO.

Do I need to activate one of those in order to access this plugin?

9. karms
    Posted 17 years ago #

I added a test blog and set it to the default theme, and it works with the widgets plugin as hoped.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, that'll do it. :) Yes, the theme has to be activated and yes, it also has to be widget-enabled. :D

11. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't recall that the home theme is widegt enabled. I doubt it since widgets don't come with the WPMU install.

Maybe we should convince Donncha to add it in there. :)

edit: Of course we all know how well that went with invites. :(

12. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

No, in the latest release they aren't widget-enabled. Seeing as WP is probably going that way, though, I imagine it will be like that in MU eventually.

About this Topic