The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Getting close to the 1.5.1 (60 posts)

1. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

We're getting really close to the next release. It's going to be 1.5.1 as it's synced against WP 2.5.1 and it makes sense to follow the minor version number at least.

I'm going to be putting this on a live server tomorrow morning, and I feel quite confident that it's not going to blow up on me. Then again, if you do the same, don't do it for the next 8 hours. I'll be asleep and unable to help you!

Grab the latest code from Trunk at http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk?rev=1275
    There's a zip file link at the end of the page for easy access.

Hopefully if nothing shows up tomorrow we can call it 1.5.1 on Friday and finally get it into the hands of the less adventurous among you! (or sensible, depending on how you view these things)

2. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've got the honor to be the first one to thank you... well

THANK YOU!

3. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

donncha,

I will wait for the testing to be finished, call me less adventurous or sensible, whatever you choose;)

I just wanted to take a quick moment to thank you for all your work. You are providing me with many hours of development fun, and you're providing my users with a nice free service.

Thank you!

4. horrorshow
    Posted 15 years ago #

donncha,

Yes, thanks for all your hard work! WPMU has been great, and I am looking forward to upgrading to the new version.

5. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've just upgraded my test site to the latest trunk release and all seems well. But I have one question though - what is the plan for the Add Media link above the write box? Clicking on the star next to it brings up a box which says "Are you sure you want to do this?" If you click on the "Please try again" link it reloads your site in the lightbox window.

6. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Brilliant stuff Donncha, we're cheerin' you on from downunder!

7. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just tried again and the Add media button worked, so not sure what just happened.

8. bluemamba
    Posted 15 years ago #

Has anyone managed to get the RC1 image uploader working in IE7? I have no problems in firefox, but it doesn't seem to like IE7.

9. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks donncha.

10. Bruz
    Posted 15 years ago #

I took rev 1275 live - no problems so far. It even fixed the "save-button-keeps-flashing" issue that I had on one of my blogs with the last rev.

11. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

@bluemamba - that's the same issue that had. I thought I had fixed it, but it was just that I was using Firefox. I can confirm that it's definitely not working on IE7. The error is:

Are you sure you want to do this?

Please try again.

12. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've raised a ticket for this in Trac: http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/623

13. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

amanzi - it was strange you getting an AYS, I can't replicate it. Maybe something cached in your browser that changed? Hopefully it won't happen again!

bluemamba - have you tried upgrading to the very latest version of Flash? That usually helps. Unfortunately I don't have IE7 here to test.

14. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just tried clearing all cookies/tempfiles/history/passwords/everything from IE7, then visited the Adobe site and reinstalled Flash, but I'm still getting the same error.

15. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

Some further info... it's not browser related, but blog-related. I have a user account called "stuart" that has three blogs on the site. On two of the blogs, the Add Media button works fine, but on one of them, it comes up with the error mentioned above. This happens on Firefox, Safari and IE7.
    Still don't know why though.

16. codedmind
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hy there,

Can't upload files (ubuntu and firefox, flash 9.0.124) always get http error, and only have one way to upload... in wordpress install we have more buttons to manage media... in wpmu i only have one

Thanks

17. moorezilla
    Posted 15 years ago #

Undignified, unhelpful, no-value-add woot coming: WOOT!

Looking forward to testing the upgrade today!

18. bluemamba
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi Donncha Yes, am using flash player version WIN 9,0,124,0. I can upload files on IE7, but the div that pops up (media-upload.php) is throwing javascript errors - "fileDialogStart is undefined" and doesn't let me add the uploaded file to the post. I'm a mozilla user so normally wouldn't care but I think IE7 still has the mass market so this would affect a huge number of users... thanks for all the great work on this project by the way :-)

19. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

Anyone tried the object cache plugins? I tried two, the memcached one and a new file based one and both had unusual problems. Download them at:
    http://dev.wp-plugins.org/browser/memcached/trunk/
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/file-based-extension-to-the-wordpress-object-cache/

Copy the file(s) into wp-content and define "WP_CACHE" as true in wp-config.php to activate. I'd like to hear if anyone has any success with it.

20. ferasof
    Posted 15 years ago #

I did not find "WP_CACHE" in the file wp-config.php

21. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

I had tried the file based and the xcache with one of the rev's from the past couple of weeks.

Both essentially crapped the site out, without leaving anything in the error logs whatsoever. I didn't have the time to go back and debug it all, but the initial results weren't pretty.

How much extra effort would it be to keep object cache operating as before the 2.5/1.5 removal of it's core integration? Using it as a plugin (thus far) doesn't seem to be an option with the current plugin availability.

22. taylhis
    Posted 15 years ago #

Eagerly awaiting; hopeful it is still TODAY! Is there any data on what plugins and themes will work from the 1.3.3 release? Or more importantly what will NOT work?

23. taylhis
    Posted 15 years ago #

Also, is there going to be upgrade/update instructions for those of us oon 1.3.3?

24. mark-k
    Posted 15 years ago #

Taylhis, IMHO themes should work without any problem, but you might want to consider adding to them some more styling for the gallery and to control the alignment of the images as was set in the image uploader.

Plugins should be OK except for
    1. plugins which provide widgets which can be used multiple times
    2. plugins which add buttons to the tinymce editor
    3. plugins which alters some of the core admin pages. They might work but may look ugly as hell.

25. taylhis
    Posted 15 years ago #

Will there be an option for easy upgrading?

26. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Probably not, you just upload the new files over the old ones.

27. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've spent today bashing at the object-caching and switch_blog code and I think they're working ok now, but unfortunately I *need* testers to play with it and confirm that it's ok.

That means the release will be pushed back one more time. If there are problems with the object caching then it's going to be unsupported for this release because I think people are getting impatient to see this out the door. I know I am!

If you're testing it, please update your server from http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk and try:
    1. Creating new blogs from wp-signup.php
    2. Creating new blogs from wpmu-blogs.php (backend)
    3. Jumping from blog to blog in the Dashboard.
    4. If there are plugins that use switch_to_blog() those should be tested too.

I feel the code has become very stable now, so much so that (if I get a chance) I'll update a public site I admin over the weekend.

Oh, one more thing that has to go in is a link to use the regular uploader if the flash uploader breaks in your browser.

28. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

I did all the tasks with the latest rev in trunk and it all seemed to be working for me.

Thanks,

Trent

29. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks Donncha... or Don Ncha:)

30. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

Trent - with the object cache installed? That's great! :)

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by donncha
  • Latest reply from selfmade64856