The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

No Wildcard Subdomains :( (12 posts)

1. emdee90
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hostway will not cooperate with enabling me to use wildcard subdomains.

Is there a way to install MUWP without wildcard subdomains?

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

yes, just don't enable vhosts when installing and it will create the blogs in a directory format.

basically, instead of:

blogname.whatever.com

you get:

whatever.com/blogname/

I hope this helps :)

3. emdee90
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks!

4. Alvades
    Posted 17 years ago #

If i do that, the template doesn't work right ?
    What can i do about this ?

5. stealthgear
    Posted 17 years ago #

yea...I'd love to know how to fix this please...nobody has answered yet.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

How does it not work right?
    What template?
    What else can you tell us about the setup and how it doesn't work right? Otherwise we have to guess. :)

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Way back when, the signup page really only worked for subdomains, not subdirectories. That may be the issue that Alvades is discussing. It's been fixed though since then.

I have a feeling that Stealthgear is back to asking about the sibdomains without wildcards issue and that's not possible to fix because you need to have the modifications to DNS to make them work.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

And the modification the httpd.conf (1.3.X) or the sites conf file (2.X.X).

9. anabelle
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is it possible to install MU without wildcard but get subdomains working by adding each subdomain manually to the DNS record?

My host doesn't allow wildcard but since I have closed registrations and not that much blogs I could ad them manually.

Should that work?

10. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is it possible to install MU without wildcard but get subdomains working by adding each subdomain manually to the DNS record?

Possibly but it depends on your server. That's something you're going to have to try. Every server and hosting platform is different.

To be honest though, best bet would be to find a new host. Your host just told you that they don't want to add one line to a single file. Takes two seconds.

11. deuts
    Posted 14 years ago #

At Anabelle's query, I also have the same question.

@tdjcbe, so it means that the wpmu software will have no problems dealing with that setup, we can only have problems with the server setup?

12. deuts
    Posted 14 years ago #

I would like to stress out, changing hosts may not always be an option for everybody. Besides, there is a risk that the webhost we go into may change their policy towards wildcard dns - take for example Dreamhost who recently don't allow wildcard anymore in their shared hosting.

It's not always convenient to switching to new hosts when the previous host change their policy. So I guess, we need to have a permanent solution about this. If only annabelle's comment/suggestion above is viable, I guess we can make that a permanent solution.

About this Topic