The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

customize dashboard (11 posts)

1. fouad.fakhr
    Posted 15 years ago #

i know alot of users here have asked the same question but most of them were about the previous wpmu versions
    but how can i change the feeds shown in the main user dashboard index ???

2. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Tap into the blog creation process when it's done, and update the field holding the rss values to what you want?

3. fouad.fakhr
    Posted 15 years ago #

i just tried your method and this only changes the feeds if every user changes it , i'm talkin about changing it for every user's dashboard via coding the files
    is that possible ?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

What I was getting at, is that those values can be stored in the database. That being the case when a blog is created, you can add/update those values, which in turn will then render the selected feed address from the database.

The end user might change it, but other than hacking core files you probably won't get around that. Although it might be possible, I haven't really dug that deep into it yet.

5. Viper007Bond
    Posted 15 years ago #

The feed URLs are filtered. Use the filters.

/wp-admin/includes/dashboard.php

At least that's how it is in non-MU.

6. fouad.fakhr
    Posted 15 years ago #

yes viper it's there
    well , i decided to remove all those lines from dashboard.php so it could be easier and faster navigation
    :-D
    thank you

7. fouad.fakhr
    Posted 15 years ago #

actually the question i'm asking myself since i tried WPMU first time , why do those people put feeds to plugins and news related to single user installation ?
    i mean if i'm a user who can't afford hosting plan and not technically able to get a hosted solution for my blog so i use free one , then what's the use of those news appearing in my dashboard as long as i can't install my own plugin nor themes ?
    it would be more useful if it focuses on aggregating the sitewide feed for example , and the admin can check the feeds of a blog or two on the system to be aggregated .. etc
    that way the dashboard will be a useful place for users

8. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

@fouad.fakhr - I agree with you. The best thing to do is to create a plugin which controls the feeds on the dashboard and then if it's popular enough it may make it's way into the core.

9. mikeboy3
    Posted 15 years ago #

this is a very good point, I have wondered myself what is the use of those feeds for a WPmu user, the people registered cannot do anything about plugins...

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

They're like that because that's how it is in WP. Donacha already has a huge list of things to be changed when he rolls in new code. :)

Historically, there was a spot to customize that area for MU admins, but that was taken out and replaced with hook so someone could whip up a plugin. Haven;t checked in the latest version to see if those hooks are still there, but I imagine they are (and probably more - the new dashboard is supposed ot be highly customaizable).

11. BondageRadio
    Posted 15 years ago #

well I had the plugin running on 1.3.3 and when I updated to 1.5.1 the plugin caused conflicts, however the custom feeds stayed in place...

I did notice tho that it appeared that I could alter the feeds myself without the plugin, when logged in as Admin on the home blog dashboard.

I can't test this out any longer, I had to roll back to 1.3.3 ...

Cool backend and fancy media uploader just wasn't enough to support 1.5.1 and loosing compatibility with so many good quality plugins and xmlrpc functionality that worked with 1.3.3

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by fouad.fakhr
  • Latest reply from BondageRadio