The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

URGENT: Delayed inserts to MySQL database has closed won my site (16 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

My hosting company suspended my account today. They said:

It was causing issues with mysql due to delayed inserts. Any idea why they would be delayed?<?blockquote>

They want to move me to a Virtual Private Server because of the increased drain my site is causing on the shared server. But I would be responsible for all management of the server, which I am not quite sure is right for me.

Recent changes on my iste:

I've redirected another domain to blogpeoria.com. I get several thousand pageviews a day on that other domain.

I've added Google Adsense to all other blogs on this site, probably doubled the number of page views for that piece of code

I've added a Site Meter to all other sites, to.

I'ne running the WPMU sitewide feed on all sites.

2. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

The site is back up and running.

I still have no idea what was causing this to happen.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Are you running any sort of cache? (And if you are, can you check to see if the sitewide feed is being cached?)

What version of the mu software are you running?

4. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

For sure that plugin could be doing it if it is not cached. If you have WPMU 1.3.3 you need the following in your wp-config.php to have cached turned on:

define('ENABLE_CACHE', true);

Then you would need to enable "use object cache" in your plugin settings.

If you are using WP 1.5.1 you need to get ahold of the object cache plugin as it was taken out of the core from:

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=14

That is the same type of object cache plugin. Drop it in your /wp-content/ folder and then configure the plugin options for site-wide feed as described above.

WPMU is extremely resource intensive and if your site grows large enough will take down your shared account often and eventually could get your kicked off. If you are not wanting a virtual server yet, there are options in between such as using Media Temple (gs) that is more than most shared accounts but less than a VPS.

Not pushing MT, but something to keep in mind so that you don't end up like poor Andrea and have your shared account suspended permanently without access to the data....not a good result :)

Trent

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Uh, yeah. I'll hold my experience up as an example of What Not To Do. (I could get to my data, but not easily...)

There are *managed* VPS out there, so you don't have to learn the server tech. But unless you're gonna close off new signups, anything else you can do will only delay a move.

it's better to pan for one ASAP than wait and see what your host does.

maybe someone else on a VPS will plenty of room will go halvsies with you. :)

6. binh
    Posted 15 years ago #

You should be using Wp-Super-Cache if you wanna survive with shared hosting.

7. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've uploaded the object cashe plugin to my wp-content folder and enabled it via the admin panel.

I've asked my host to let me know if they notice a decline in the server load.

Thanks for the help.

8. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

OK< this sucks. Now, when I try to access my main admin panel, I get a message from Firefox that the site is attempting a redirect in a way tat won't work.

When I try to open the top level blog blogpeoria.com one of my member blogs opens.

9. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

I tried disabling cookies, didn't work.

When I open blogpeoria.com, I get what appears to be that site, but using the theme used by mortonmalaise.blogpeoria.com, but with posts from both sites.

Any attempt to log into the admin panel gets me redirected to his admin panel.

I try to access my admin from the backend, and the same thing happens.

This happened immediately after I activated the object cache file.

10. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

I disabled object cache and it's still happening.

11. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Delete all of your cookies and cache on your browser and see if that makes a difference.

12. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Plus being on as old of a version as you are, or were as you mentioned in another thread, you don't need an object cache plugin. It's still in the core at that point.

Granted, it never really worked completely right, but that another issue all together.

As mentioned above, 1.3 and earlier would use the enable cache defined constant. The plugin is needed in 1.5.1+ only.

13. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Lo and behold, when I delete object cace from te wp-content folder, the problem vanishes.

Thank you, lunabyte et al.

Now, to try Wp-Super-Cache, as advised.

14. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Have you tried defining the enable_cache in your wp-config file?

15. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

I looked. It's not there. Should I add the following:

define('ENABLE_CACHE', true);

16. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

WP-Super Cache crashed my site. I am completely screwed here.

I installed it, activated it and started getting server error messages.

I following the uninstall instructions. All filed are gone. The .htaccess file has been cleansed of the files. I've taken the case command out of wp-config.php

I am not getting that firefox error telling me the page is trying to perform a redirect that will not work.

Help.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from billdennis5