The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Let new users invite friends (9 posts)

1. DailyTestimony
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have an invite plugin now that will let existing users send invitation emails to friends from the admin panel, I was oundering if something existed to let them invote in the signup process, kinda like what myspace does, I think many people would use it as it would help grow the user base of the site.

If not would it be easy (or even possible for that matter) to make a mu plugin that would add a step to the signup process or would you have to hack the signup process?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Honestly, you don't want to do that.
    Too many possibilities for spammers to exploit it.

Then who gets the blame? The mail server it came from (you).

3. frozonecold
    Posted 15 years ago #

@lunabyte: You could easily add a limit, so that you could only invite x number of users. Also, If the email is worded well it won't look like spam.

4. DailyTestimony
    Posted 15 years ago #

actually lunabyte I was going to use your mail server so you get the blame? Or does your SMTP server require authentication?

lol

But seriously, I know there are issues, but I think the benefits of new users out weight the samll risk with a system like frozonecold mentioned.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

You're flippin right my email servers require authentication, among other things. :D

I can see it useful, but the potential for abuse it rather great as well. To me, it wouldn't be something I would risk, and instead keep it in the backend instead.

Not to mention the confirmation process would have to be considered, as you wouldn't want something sent from a user that isn't at least confirmed to have a valid address.

6. DailyTestimony
    Posted 15 years ago #

YOu could have it as a step right after confirmation.;)

7. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

That might be a little safer. Maybe have a look for their first login, and redirect from the dashboard to a special page, or put in something at the top of the page in a notification box.

8. DailyTestimony
    Posted 15 years ago #

yeah I thought of doing that and also adding like a admin panel use tutorial they could go though as well but then I'd have to keep doing a check everytime an admin page is loaded, I kinda want to avoid that because the admin panel is loaded alot, eventhough it won't make any more diffrence than a mu-plugin, actually it would make less.

9. neuville
    Posted 15 years ago #

hello,
    just a quick question: do this work also with a common wordpress installation? not WPMU I mean.

Thanks a lot, ciao
    Neuville

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by DailyTestimony
  • Latest reply from neuville