The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

solicit opinion re: recent post widgets, splog defense (5 posts)

1. azizpoonawalla
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello everyone,

I am running a MU install at Talk Islam.info and want to open up registrations for users to create their own subblogs. However, I am inundated with splog registrations within hours. Also, assuming I solve that problem, I want to show the N most recent posts on user logs on the sidebar, but there are 5 different plugins for this on wpmudev.org. So, my specific questions for the community here are:

1. what splog defense plugin do you use? what default user registration options do you use?

2. what plugin or widget do you find robust and configurable for showing recent blog posts?

I am trying to get a sense for what the concensus is. If you are using plugins for these issues, please do share which and why.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

!. I hack the signup to moderate all signups, so blogs do not get activated unless *I* do it. Also, try putting things in the "banned email domains" list.

2. I use the most_recent_posts one, but an updated one. (My hubby wrote it, I posted it.)

3. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

"what splog defense plugin do you use?"

Purely custom.

"what plugin or widget do you find robust and configurable for showing recent blog posts?"

Custom tools for the job.

It will eventually come down to whether you want "the same thing most other people have, but in a different wrapper", or "I want to think outside the box and have my own cool stuff, and strive to offer something unique".

4. aparachitt
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do you Know That we Can Create Recent Post and Widget Using feed The widget is Fully Featured ,Try It Now?

5. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

You may want to review the IP address that's being used for these splog signups. Chances are it;s the same one or a small number of them being used to create these splogs. Blocking the IP addresses would probably lessen the problem.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by azizpoonawalla
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe