The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

I want to point another domain to one of my blogs (12 posts)

1. levi.putna
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi everyone,

I just have a quick question, I want to point another domain to one of my blogs E.g. http://www.cairnssirfclub.com to point cairnssurfclub.clubsdotcom.com.

Can I just point the domain to the url or do I need to make any changes to wordpress?

Will the url http://www.cairnssureclub.com/about/ work? or will http://www.cairnssureclub.com only point to the homepage?

on a side note:

I have a cPanel and WHM account, is it possible to setup a script that can register a domain name and point it to the a blog automatically?

I have just started researching doing this however if anyone can save me some time and give me some pointers that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Levi

2. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Search here for domain mapping, but in short you need to register your domain (if you haven't already done so). Point it to the domain your MU is hosted on, and then use the information you find on this forum to set up the MU system to recognise it.

Once the new domain is set up, you won't be able to access the site at the old sub-domain as well. It's one or the other I'm afraid.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Search for domain mapping.

4. DailyTestimony
    Posted 15 years ago #

Though could you not use say .htaccess to foward the old subdomain to the new domain? Then just add the old subdomain as a restricted name someone else can't use.

5. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've been thinking about this for a while now (I have a few sites where having the .co.uk and the .com domains pointing to the same URL would be great) and am putting together some ideas for a plugin to enable this.

I think I know how, in theory, it should/would work but haven't had the chance to test things out yet

6. DailyTestimony
    Posted 15 years ago #

I would think you would use .htaccess redirect, the only way I know of to manage that with a plugin though is to use fopen and I've never used fopen so I'm not sure about it's limitations.

7. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Depends if it's a local/remote file, and how the server is set up to handle fopens.

As a note, htaccess can easily do redirects with the right rule.

8. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

One way you could do it quick and easy is by using a URL Frame and displaying your blog in it. Downside is the address bar will always display the "domain.com" no matter where visitors go on your blog.

9. levi.putna
    Posted 15 years ago #

cafespain: "I have been reading about domain mapping on the wordpress.com site and they allow both the new mapped domain and the old subdomain links to still work on the site."

I got the new URL mapped to the blog home page but to get it mapped to all pages I think I will have to make some changes to the database and add some extra code to the .htaccess

10. levi.putna
    Posted 15 years ago #

Come to think of it, is it possible to do this with just the .htaccess?

11. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Multi-Site Manager: WPMU Dev

So much for the search link above... ::)

12. levi.putna
    Posted 15 years ago #

The problem with Multi-Site Manager is that there’s absolutely no documentation that comes with the plug-in, after browsing the forum it seems like it is still a little buggy. I don’t want to try this out on a mu installation that already has active users.

I have manages to get domain mapping working using just htaccess and RewriteRule

#cappuccinorun.net -> cappuccinorun.clubsdotcom.com
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} cappuccinorun.net
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^cappuccinorun.clubsdotcom.com
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ cappuccinorun.clubsdotcom.com/$1 [L]

cappuccinorun.net will rewrite to cappuccinorun.clubsdotcom.com

cappuccinorun.net/about will rewrite to cappuccinorun.clubsdotcom.com/about

and so on.

However any links clicked will link to the subdomain url not the new domain url. I have purchased a domain registration and checkout script that I hope to combine with a plug-in to help streamline the process. If anyone knows a good open source domain registration and checkout script I can use instead I can share this plug-in, otherwise the licence will restrict me from doing so.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by levi.putna
  • Latest reply from levi.putna