The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sidebar on Single.php file not being crawled, is yours? (8 posts)

1. bwinn
    Posted 15 years ago #

I made a very interesting find tonight and I am wondering if anyone has noticed this or has this problem... Also, hoping to find a solution.

While optimizing my site for SEO purposes, I noticed that the sidebar content on my blogs aren't being indexed. What is strange is that if you are on the homepage of the blog, the sidebar is crawled and indexed fine, it's when you are on the single.php page is where I am having issues.

I tried using this tool http://www.webconfs.com/search-engine-spider-simulator.php, and it is reading like I have no content in my sidebar at all...

I have used the text widgets, hardcode, the whole nice, anything I do, it won't get indexed.

Anyone else having a problem with this?

Thanks

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

A quick test shows it scraping my sites fine. Got a link for one of your where this isn't occurring? Only thing that comes to mind is it's seeing it as dupe content and passing over it. (Although it would be doing that for mine as well and it's not.)

3. bwinn
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well on my homepage it indexes the sidebar and on this single.php page it indexes it as well.

I am seriously stumped by this. I removed all the plugins, and everything, and it still wont crawl it.

Here is the page it wont index.

Someone please help :)

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"<meta name='robots' content='noindex,nofollow' />"

TADA! that's why. :) It's been no-followed somehow.

5. bwinn
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not so fast...

I found out that I had the privacy settings to "no follow" but I took that off. Still no luck, the sidebar is not being indexed. :(

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

The example link that you give craps out (for lack of a better term) right after the three personal fields within the comment form. Using IE7. (edited. Firefox is downloading something) No sidebar shows up.

You appear to have a broken theme.

7. bwinn
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ya I noticed that but I can't figure out why... I have the call to sidebar on there. What chap's my arse is that it is being indexed on the homepage of the blog but not the single file. bleh.

8. bwinn
    Posted 15 years ago #

SOLVED!

It was a faulty comments.php file!

Thanks so much tdjcbe and andrea for the help. Much appreciated! :)

About this Topic