The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New sitewide tags plugin for MU (46 posts)

1. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've just released a new plugin that creates a global tags or sitewide tags page for WordPress MU. Blog post is here with more info: http://ocaoimh.ie/2008/07/19/sitewide-tags-pages-for-wordpress-mu/

It's the first release, so it's basic. It doesn't have any spammer protection or mass delete functionality, and from experience working on the "Hot Topics" code on WordPress.com, the spammers soon figure out how valuable these pages are.

As the plugin feeds all the posts on the site into one blog that also means you get sidewide feeds too for free. You can even subscribe to different categories or tag feeds as well!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Awesome, can't wait to check it out.

3. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just down loaded it and will play with it later when I can sort of get my act together (its been one of those days).

What updates the central blog?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm guessing you can pull the tags into the main blog by parsing the feed. :)

5. akeel
    Posted 15 years ago #

Great! I was looking for this kind of simple solution for a long long time.

6. akeel
    Posted 15 years ago #

Okey, a subdomain is automatically created.
    tags.yourdomain.com

But I can't see any tags on it.
    'Hello World'.

7. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

try post something to another blog and/or read the code!

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

For those of you that will ask the same question...

Donncha's plugin works just like ours in the sense that only posts published after the plugin has been added will be 'indexed'.

Btw, great work on this Donncha. It provides a tagging solution without the need for a custom page template which is why ours doesn't work for the masses.

Thanks,
    Andrew

9. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andrew - thanks, I never got around to looking at your code, but decided it actually wasn't that hard to do so I wrote it from scratch. :)

10. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

Argh, Jim Groom made me realise you need to be running MU trunk for this plugin to work. From my reply to his comment on my post:

(In MU trunk) I updated get_blog_details() so it’ll accept a blogname as well as a blog_id.

To make the plugin work on older MU installs, either copy get_blog_details() from wpmu-functions.php in trunk, or:
    1. Get the blog_id of the tags blog.
    2. add a site_option called “tags_blog_id” with that blog_id as value.

11. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andrew - thanks, I never got around to looking at your code

Oh it's changed drastically since then anyway :)

Our current tag plugin is actually just one of several features that sit on top of our indexing plugins. The indexer plugins are what allow us to pull of the neat stuff for sites like nationenblog.dk. However it's overkill for 95% of the wpmu sites out there so your plugin fills the void quite nicely!

Thanks,
    Andrew

12. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

Fixed the dependency on 2.6 code in release 0.2 which should be live in a few minutes!

13. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

This is beautiful donncha! Thanks for making this code available to the community!

Trent

14. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 15 years ago #

very good.thank for your share.

15. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

ok guys I am a little confused:

how does this plugin differ from manually setting up a blog like tags.domain.com or even using the main blog together with a plugin that imports/aggregates posts and tags from all subblogs?

16. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ovidiu - that's just what it does. Why the confusion?

17. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

@donncha
    So it's possible to set the main blog as the which will display all mails. I'm sorry if someone already answered this question.

18. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just was not sure, if this plugin was offering anything special I couldn't achieve with an aggregator :-) actually I like an aggregator better, as I have control over exactly which blogs to import and which not, and it can also import posts that are already posted compared to your plugin.
    Although I admit your plugins seems to be one of those you set up and then forget about.

19. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Actually I think this plugin will have those options you mentioned in future releases. Seems logical. Btw, Ovidiu, what 'aggregator' are you using?

20. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

@boonika

I stopped using aggregators a long time ago, was just testing, but you could have a look at these two:

WP-o-Matic 1.0RC4-6 by Guillermo Rauch
    FeedWordPress 0.993 by Charles Johnson

@all others
    regarding this sitewide plugin by donncha, could someone give some ideas/examples of what you use it for?
    I understand what it does, but I kinda lack the imagination of what I could do with it :-)

oh, Donncha said:
    I've just released a new plugin that creates a global tags or sitewide tags page for WordPress MU. Blog post is here with more info:

so how do I get this information into a global tags page?
    what else are you using this plugin for?

21. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Tried Wp-O-Matic few times but I think that plugin is too complicated and will never be actually finished. Autoblog (although abandoned)works much better. never heard of FeedWordPress 0.993 but will check it out.

BTW, Donncha's plugin works great in combination with latest dsader's plugins.

22. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

sorry to bump, but I need soem ideas, please.

regarding this sitewide plugin by donncha, could someone give some ideas/examples of what you use it for?
    I understand what it does, but I kinda lack the imagination of what I could do with it :-)

oh, Donncha said:
    I've just released a new plugin that creates a global tags or sitewide tags page for WordPress MU. Blog post is here with more info:

so how do I get this information into a global tags page?
    what else are you using this plugin for?

23. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

The best examples?
    http://wordpress.com/tags/
    And RSS
    http://wordpress.com/tag/politics/feed/

Once the tags blog is underway, any of the usual template queries work.

24. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"so how do I get this information into a global tags page?"

The plugin does it. :) Tosses everything into a "tags" blog.

Another use:
    http://bavatuesdays.com/course-blogs-sitewide-tags-and-feedwordpress/

25. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea
    thx for the link, but that is 99% of how I was doing it before: using itdamagers sitewide feed and feedwordpress to gather all posts into the main blog.
    Now having switched to donncha's solution I think I made a logical mistake:
    donncha's plugin by default aggregates into tags.myblog.com and I didn't change that.

All I was wondering was how to use the tags from tags.myblog.com on the main blog itsself: myblog.com?

@dsadder
    thx for the links, but the wordpress.com guys, don't seem to use a special blog aka tags.wordpress.com but rather jsut a page: wordpress.com/tags

I know I might jsut not see the obvious, but please be patient right now with me, I think I am slowly getting somewhere :-)

26. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I don;t have it in front of me, but surely it has a function you can call in the main page template...

27. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ovidiu said: All I was wondering was how to use the tags from tags.myblog.com on the main blog itsself: myblog.com?

To build a giant tags page like WP.com on your home blog create a page template to display a tagcloud but wrap it as follows:

$tags_blog = get_site_option( 'tags_blog_id' );
    switch_to_blog($tags_blog);
    wp_tag_cloud();
    restore_curent_blog();

28. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

that looks exactly like what I need to start with, but:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function restore_curent_blog()

can you help out please?

###edit###
    I googled a bit and then tried restore_blog(); but that doesn't work either. I basically displays the tags then throws that error.

AND I am not 100% sure if this is what I am looking for as the permalinks of the generated tags, point to the tags subdomain again :-( no way to change those too? Or am I completely wrong here?
    Do you have a working 'demo' so I can see what yo uachieved with this plugin?

29. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

whoops
    restore_current_blog

Spelling test flashbacks.

And yes, the sitewide tag permalinks hop first to the tags blog, the tags blog titles permalinks hop to the user blog.

Example
    http://umwblogs.org/

http://tags.umwblogs.org/

30. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

@dsader

and I was starting to wonder why a search for restore_curent_blog() did only give one result: this topic :-)

thx a lot.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by donncha
  • Latest reply from andrea_r