The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrade instruction clarity sought .... (8 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

The next step in the process of moving my site it to perform the upgrade from 1.3 to 1.5.1

These are the instructions found in the codex. I'll add my questions as I go along

` 1.3.3 to 1.5.1

1. Backup your files (webmin works great for this or follow Backup WPMU) & disable plugins

/////I have a recent DB and a recent file backup.////

2. Remove all files in your wpmu/ directory, copy new files over (cleaner) KEEP wp-config.php!

/////I assume you mean the FILES and not the folders and contents?/////

3. Remove directories wp-admin & wp-includes and copy new directories

/////Gotcha./////

4. Replace files in wp-content (index.php and blogs.php)

/////This means I replace only the files named index.php and blogs.php right> I leave the others?/////

5. Copy wp-content/mu-plugins/index.php & wp-content/plugins/index.php

////Could you be a little more specific about what you mean here? Do I upload these files from my computer to the directory on my server? //////

6. Login to new admin, update wp-config.php with Secret Keys

/////By this, you mean I follow instructions for Secret Keys I will see in wp-config.php, correct? ////

7. Login again, run site wide blog upgrades

////This is the UPDATE link in the admin menu, correct?////

8. Congratulations, your done, check your file ownership, and permissions if you have image issues, or upload problems. '

Also, what are the benefits of ungrading in terms of database stress and strain?

2. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've just recently performed the same upgrade, so I can understand your slight confusion with some of the points.

1) Yes, backup EVERYTHING. However, I didn't bother to disable plugins (we've got a lot of blogs with various plugins and even with Plugin Commander, there wasn't a simple way of doing this across all of our domains)

----
    I would add here that I also disabled the account that contains all the Wordpress MU files on our server to stop anyone from inadvertently logging in during the upgrade. To do this in Web Host Manager for instance, I can simply suspend an account (we've got an account specifically for the whole MU installation), but this obviously depends on your own specific set up...
    ----

2) Yes, files (otherwise it would say folders, but I initially had exactly the same question!). So remove all WORDPRESS-RELATED FILES in the root Wordpress MU directory (except wp-config.php) and copy new files over.

3) So yes, this time replace wp-admin & wp-includes DIRECTORIES

4) Your assumption is correct

5) Yes, upload from your computer. So copy wp-content/mu-plugins/index.php from your computer, to wp-content/mu-plugins/index.php on your server/VPS. Same principle for the other index.php file

----
    Unsuspend the account on your server, so you can get back into it...
    ----

6) Log in as Admin and it'll show you some secret keys (can't miss it!). Copy and paste those somewhere safe, log out and paste these keys into your wp-config.php file as per instructions.

7) Yes, you use the upgrade link and it does jiggery pokery in the background.

Duncan

3. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey, I'm all in favor of some "jiggery pokery." Thanks for the clarity.

4. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Woo Hoo! Upgrade went smoothly. NOW ... I went to the sitewide feed page and received the following message:

NOTE: Your WPMU is not using WP Object Cache. Performance will be degraded and site load increased. Please use the object cache for maximum performance.

I assume this means I need to load the plugin. Right? I really need to reduce the load on my server.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Some of us have been running it fine despite that message. :)

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

The reason for the message in that plugin is because it checks for the defined constant which was previously needed to turn on object caching.

Since the plugin is old and not up to date, it will give that as it doesn't check for function/class availability, just the old constant.

7. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

yes, the plugin is lame and old but it's the best public plugin for what it does. this means that if any of you people who make a living building plugins has one, is thinking of building one or wants to update this one - shoot me your paypal info and quote.

8. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

As long as I know it's running and working, I am happy. mediatemple (MT) is sending me messages abour how my server load is too high and they're going to give me four days to get the load down, or I have to spend cash for a container.

OK, and the WP-Super Cache plugin tells me that I'm getting a message telling me that a particular folder is writable when it should and to set it to 755. Filezilla tells me it already is 755.

Huh?

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from billdennis5