The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How do you upgrade from wpmu 1.5.2 to 2.6 (14 posts)

1. gpo1
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've got wordpress mu 1.5.2 and I want to upgrade wpmu 2.6
    how do you upgrade or I need a guide.

Any advise?

2. TimePeak
    Posted 15 years ago #

3. gpo1
    Posted 15 years ago #

It says

1.5 to 2.6

The version number is being bumped to 2.6 rather than 1.6 because of version confusion. Minor MU versions will probably append a letter to the version.

1. (instructions needed)

4. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

The steps are generally the same to upgrade between versions.
    1. Backup everything.
    2. Copy files across.
    3. Upgrade blogs.

I don't think that many of us have upgraded yet, so any problems haven't been highlighted

5. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

1.5 to 2.6 is easy. Just copy over the files and overwrite.

6. jschinker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Here's what I did. I was going from 1.5 to 2.6:

1. Back up your files AND your database.
    2. Delete the old wordpress files (contents of /var/www/html or whatever).
    3. Restore your .htaccess file and your wp-config.php file from the backup.
    4. Look at the sample config.php file. There are a few new options. Copy those to your existing wp-config.php file.
    5. Replace the entire wp-content directory with the one from your backup.
    6. Check file permissions to make sure your web server has access to the files.
    7. Log in to the admin interface with a web browser.
    8. Run the site-wide blog upgrades.
    9. Check your plugins and make sure nothing's broken.

I was most concerned with new blog generation and authentication, but they both came through the upgrade fine. Since I have a customized wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php file, I copied those changes over to the new file, too.

So far, so good...

7. adria.richards
    Posted 15 years ago #

Jschinker's instructions are correct. Additional tips:

Do not delete these folders

• /wp-content/plugins
    • /wp-content/themes
    • /wp-content/mu-plugins

There are now 7 keys instead of 2 in the wp-config.php file. I generated 40 charachter passwords for the 5new ones using Keepass http://keepass.info/:

• AUTH_KEY
    • SECURE_AUTH_KEY
    • SECURE_AUTH_SALT
    • LOGGED_IN_KEY
    • SECRET_KEY
    • SECRET_SALT
    • LOGGED_IN_SALT
  8. mercime
    Posted 15 years ago #

imho, in addition to all above, backup of sitewide XML (and XML of individual blogs - saved me hours of stress) should be included in the instructions for WPMU and even single WP upgrade. That way, should all else fail, there's always the important content and comments saved, among others.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

*scratches head*

And this is better than a database backup how?

I mean, I'm not knocking it, but in every WP/WPMU upgrade directions, step #1 is BACKUP the database.

Sure us easier & faster than going into 1,000 blogs and doing single exports.

10. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Also considering that the XML doesn't export out plugin data normally, you wind up losing a large portion of data if you do have issues.

11. mercime
    Posted 15 years ago #

As I said above, "in addition to all above" -- including DB backup which I set up everyday -- XML export is a good thing. Not every DB backup is perfect esp. if they've been hacked.

XML backup has been invaluable to me esp. when I upgrade WP or WPMU installs which haven't been upgraded for 6 months to a year or more. The plugin data are useless then because many of plugins are either inactive or not compatible anymore.

Looking through the XML to prepare for upgrade has twice helped me find a hack attached at the very end of the file. Thought I cleaned up database, checked it after install, and problem persisted. Just imported cleaned up XML, and in a few, website set up clean.

With database backup as my backup and reference, upgrading say WPMU 1.2.1 to 2.6 with clean new database, importing XML's then later uploading new plugins and themes has been faster and less stressful. Same goes for WP 1.5-2.2 installs which clients/friends ask to be upgraded to 2.6.1

Always have my DB backups. But I wish a plugin can be made to automatically backup XML files regularly for me as well. Cheers.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, I'm not trying to dis the import at all, no. I think in many cases it's a very good idea and indeed it's the *first* thing we suggest when someones asks how do they go from single WP to WPMU.

But if I'm backing up a large MU system there's just no way in heck I'm gonna go through all those blogs and do separate XML exports.

(I'd instruct my users to tho)

I've already got one setup on 16 databases.

remember, in *this* thread we are talking about upgrading a WPMU system to the latest version, and making related backups. Not switching WP to WPMU. ;)

13. mercime
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes andrea_r, I'm quite aware I am in the dragon's lair and that we're talking about WPMU upgrades :-)

14. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

*roawr*

About this Topic