The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Request: Allowing user to point their domains to your site (10 posts)

1. Forevagrey
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am here to request if there is such script that will allow users to point their domain name that they purchase to my blog hoster?

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I feel like crap at the moment but this question caught my attention.

If you're asking for a feature similar to what wp.com is toying with at the moment, then the answer is no. It would also be a bit difficult to make unless you're running wpmu either on your own equipment or have a dedicated server through a hosting company.

I hope this helps and please excuse my tone. I'm just a little under the weather(going on four days now...) and my doctor is on a golf trip so I have to wait untill monday to get a shot. Great, now i'm rambling...

3. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrew, sorry to hear that.
    Anyway are there measures taken to make this feature available for WPMU?

If I am on a dedicated server, how do I go about doing it?

4. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

i think:

1/point domain name at your server IP
    2/if IP is shared with other sites, direct apache to point new domain name at wpmu
    3/edit wp_blogs table and change the url of the blog to be redirected to the new domain

i think wp.com allows several names to be pointing at one blog, not sure if that can be done in the current wpmu code.

(actually i haven't tried any of this anyway hehe)

5. cfrazier
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm on HostGator and I recently tried to pull this off. It sort of works. Here's what I did:

1) Create your blog in MU using subdomain names. Let's just call this blog "test" at blog.com. So now I have test.blog.com. Simple.

2) Create a subdomain in cPanel for the user / subdomain "test". In my case this didn't change any functionality for the blog, so test.blog.com still worked fine. I just now have a folder in my root call "test".

3) I then "Parked" (stupid term) my secondary domain (lets say test.com) on the subdomain. This was done through WHM but you can also do it using cPanel. I'm not sure exactly what the system did, as I don't have access to httpd.conf, but I assume it just added a Virtual Host.

4) I then visited test.com and I was taken to test.blog.com/test/500.shtml. Yup, an error page, but still the right blog.

So it's a step in the right direction. Personally, I'd love to be able to make this work, and I have the feeling it's nothing that some creative HTACCESS edits couldn't fix.

6. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wow!! Pretty direct and common sense there but you got an error page? I am dying for this feature too! My users would love something like that. Hmm... something else to work on. If I have +ve results , will post back to update you guys.

7. stealthfiction
    Posted 17 years ago #

this is pretty much what i am trying to do, allow people with thier own domain names to work with thier MU blog. Has anyone found a way to get this to work without tomuch trouble?

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

nope, if you're looking for a quick plugin type solution, it doesn't exist.

9. tsalagi_red
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have a domain, countrycoop.org, which I have pointed at (forwarded to) a wpmu blog, blogs.elohigadugi.org/countryco-op. It works just fine.

Of course the domain name resolves to blogs.elohigadugi.org/countryco-op once you are on the page. But it works in taking the traffic to the right place

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

We solved this a bit ago. See here for details. We've been looking at this backwards all this time trying to forward the new domain onto the old one.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Forevagrey
  • Latest reply from drmike