The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

RSS credit (6 posts)

1. musnake
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey,

If I'm pulling content from another site, I'd like to display rss content meta data (if any)...

I'd like the link to the orginal site, the category that the original site author used etc.

I am aware of feed stylers that will let me add my own categories etc to incoming data, but I'd like to keep the path to joy short:

Category: < a href "theOtherGuy.org/whatcha/watcha/watcha/need" alt="cow bells" >Hey Ladies!</ a >

I guess I could string manipulate the permalink, but WP seems to have its ways...

2. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'd start here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/kb-advanced-rss-widget/

KBA has a (hidden) feed inspector(KB Advanced RSS Troubleshooter) that lets you see the source of the feed you are pulling. Has a pile of options you can turn on and off for what is displayed.

If feeds are pushed and pulled within your own wpmu install you could add all kinds of data to the feed using the action hooks in wp-includes/feed_rss2.php

For example, I added avatars to internal rss feeds with the following:
    (mu-plugin)

function ds_rss2_item_addons() {
    	?><email><?php echo the_author_email(); ?></email>
    	<?php
    	}
    add_action('rss2_item', 'ds_rss2_item_addons');

and then in my home.php( in the midst of an otherwise typical fetch_rss function
    echo '<div style="float: right; margin-left: 5px;">'. get_avatar( $item['email'] , 40 ) .'</div>';

3. musnake
    Posted 15 years ago #

You're entitled to the big piece of chicken. (Chris Rock)

4. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

For public feeds you'll probably want to keep your users' emails private-ish so this may be better in a plugin
    <id><?php echo the_author_ID(); ?></id>
    and this in a template
    get_avatar( $item['id']

5. musnake
    Posted 15 years ago #

Doh! That's right. js obfuscation of emails on the front end locks the front door but leaves all the windows open.

Man, with the screen-scrapers, sploggers and just plain thieves out there, it seems an unrealistic expectation to build up topic gravity, or in my case, community mojo.

I do have a "let-em-eat-faux" plugin but haven't checked to see if it works...

That kb widget is great BTW. Thanks again.

6. musnake
    Posted 15 years ago #

Great? Try frickin' awesome! The feed inspector functionality has been so useful! I'm sure there are other ways of grabbing the pebble from the hand (XML inspectors come to mind) but until then,

ds.karma++;

About this Topic