The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to Ping in WPMU????? (10 posts)

1. voodoolove1
    Posted 18 years ago #

In WP you can choose who you want to ping in the options tab but I can't find any similar function in WPMU. This is a pretty critical feature of a blog if you want to get any traffic.

Is this possible in WPMU or is this on the to do list?

2. nuprn1
    Posted 18 years ago #

I believe the 'ping' option is actually titled under the 'do you want this blog public or not'

3. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

I see, but hiw do we ping multiple sites?

4. voodoolove1
    Posted 18 years ago #

IN WPMU there is a radio button that says "I would like my blog to appear in search engines like Google and Technorati." but that doesn't tell anything about which sites it is actually pinging. If it is google and technorati that's cool but there are hundreds of other optional URLs that you might want to ping.

In WP you can insert as many URLs as you want to ping. That's what I was referring to.

5. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

still not resolved?

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually was resolved a long time ago. :)

MU pings pingomatic which in turns pings other sites.

If you want to change this, you can do it in each individual blog by signing in as a Site Admin and editing the blog in question under 'Ping Sites'

Probably could modify the code if you wanted to to change this as well if you don't like this as a default.

7. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

oki.. tx... for myself, I'm happy with pingomatic! What would be great though, is a "blog defaults" options page so that all blogs can have the same bunch of settings propagated upon creation (like the links in the blog roll, default post and page etc). Now we're forced to 'hack' the functions.php file to do such changes... then when upgrading.. headache!

Added a trac for this!
    http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/109

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would like to see a defaults page as well. Maybe not for ping services (pingomatic is Automattic anyway) but at least for theme selection and beginning links. Manually upgrading from trac since I can't over paste a file is a pain every day. :(

9. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike.. please feel free to add comments to my added trac on this topic.. i think some elaboration and input from others will make it happen faster ;)

10. joelp
    Posted 17 years ago #

I followed instructions, Site Admin --> Edit --> Ping Sites, added pings for Technorati and Google.

http://blogsearch.google.com/ping/RPC2
    rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping

Tried separating with commas and spaces, both times got error:

0 is a protected WP option and may not be modified

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by voodoolove1
  • Latest reply from joelp