The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Help! Ran the index-install.php and worked...once (14 posts)

1. lheinz
    Posted 15 years ago #

sorta...I had the file name wrong so it errored out. It told me to check permissions,etc and try again. Now I can not get the install to work again. I have deleted the MSql db, even deleted all files in the wordpressmu directory and uploaded fresh, still no joy.

Can anyone assist????

Thanks!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

delete the .htaccess file

3. lheinz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Other than the wordpressmu directory, is there another copy somewhere? Deleting it from the wordpress folder did not help.

Keep in mind that now I am getting 404 errors when trying to access the index-install.php yet the files is clearly there. I could access it just fine til I got the error regarding the user not being able to access MySql.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

How are you deleting it? If you're using cpanel, it will just plunk it back. go in via ftp.

To reinstall, you have to:

- drop all the db tables
    - delete wp-config.php
    - delete .htaccess

5. lheinz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andrea,

I did delete through FTP, allllllllll the files I could find on the server associated with WPMU before posting the original post, no joy. Any other suggestions would be great! :)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

got a link?

Also, the .htaccess is normally a hidden file, so you may not have been able to "see" it in the directory.

7. lheinz
    Posted 15 years ago #

http://www.ljenterprisesllc.biz

I have it installed in the root, so technically, it should come up. I have checked my entire site for a possibility that there may be other copies, and there are not.

Lisa

8. Achilleus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Looks like there's still something on your server. By installing it in to the root, do you mean your /public_html folder? Sometimes it's called /webroot. On my host it's /domain.extension but whatever works. It looks like you still have some sort of files there, because I'm not getting a 404. From the looks of it I'm getting some pre-loaded pages that your host put there.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am 99% sure it's got more to do with your host makign things as conbfusing as possibly, and not "easy"

For one, it shows the MU favicon, but if I add index.php to the URL I get a 404. Adding the index.php might have worked if there were stray html files in the root.

You may need to tell it somewhere to not use their easy site creator.

10. lheinz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for taking a look. The only index file on the site is the .html as a place holder that the host put there, the only other is the .php from WPMU.

On this server the structure is /var/www/html...that is where I put the files...is this not really the root then? There is nothing in the structure that says root or even eludes to it.

Thanks again for your help with this.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, that shoudl be the root on your system.

I;d take out their placeholder. If the index.php is there, and I type in http://www.ljenterprisesllc.biz/index.php , I should see MU files

"the only other is the .php from WPMU. "

um, you do know the MU has a lot of files in the root directory besides index.php right?

12. lheinz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Oh yeah, all the files and folders are there...I was just speaking of the index type files.

13. lheinz
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have one more question, I can not seem to find how you can configure for multiple blogs...the data is not terribly clear...does this go in that index file or somewhere else?

14. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ask your host to turn on wildcard subdomains.

I thought it was clear in the readme. You need access to server files. If you can't or don't know, then you ask your host to do it. you need to know if they will before you install, other wise you'll have to use subfolders.

Finally! I see the install, so you're getting there. :)

And make sure you DO NOT leave that www in the address.

About this Topic