The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

News Department on wordpress.com (6 posts)

1. ekaliva
    Posted 15 years ago #

Does someone know which plugin is used to generate the News Departments on the main site of wordpress.com:
    latest news sorted by category. After a long search in this forum I would be realy happy if a get a hint.
    I have already modified the plugin 340682886_ah-recent-posts-mu-mod.php but it's too slow. I suppose that the plugin on wordpress.com uses for performance reasons the global rss feed.

2. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

You could try the Sitewide tags pages plugin @ http://ocaoimh.ie/2008/07/19/sitewide-tags-pages-for-wordpress-mu/

You'll need to do some hacking on your template of choice, but that plugin will do a lot of the work for you.

3. ekaliva
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thank you very much for your answer. I have already installed that plugin (sidewide tags), but the problem is that it only gets the newest post and not the last 500 already existing posts of a wordpress mu installation.
    The next point is that it makes a copy of the post in a new blog, so one post exist twice in the mu database.
    I think it is more effective to use a global rss feed to extract the needed information and I have hoped that there is a plugin out there with this functionality :-(

4. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

"I think it is more effective to use a global rss feed to extract the needed information"

Unfortunately there are a lot of folks who would disagree with that one. Especially when you get into anymore blogs than a handful, as the "sitewide RSS Feed" will eat up a ton of resources to compile that feed.

5. ekaliva
    Posted 15 years ago #

I agree with you about the problem with a huge rss-feed. It is sad that there is no existing plugin that combines for example global RSS-Feeds with the database table wp_sitecategories of wordpress mu, so you could have for each global category one feed. Wordpress mu has a lot of functionalities in generating different blogs and diverse content but it has fewer possibilities in the aggregation of that content in a main blog. You always need plugins or code in the templates. With drupal for example you have on the main page all the latest public entries by default, and you can filter them by their tags or categories and other information. I thought that Wordpress MU would have similar functionalities. Maybe in the future!

6. zappoman
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was just checking this plugin out... it looks great... simple, scalable.. etc. Of course Donncha wrote it, so what else would it be?

But here's a question... is it possible to get wpmu to support this blog as a subdirectory style blog, while user blogs are on a vhost?

I realize my question is less about sitewide tags and more about mixing vhost with subdir.

Anyone ever tried this?

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by ekaliva
  • Latest reply from zappoman