The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

how can i give domain for one blog (6 posts)

1. Khal3d
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello everyone ,

i installed Wordpress MU
    and i create blog in sub domain But i need give this blog a real domain

haw can i do this plz!

2. anthonyr
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sure can, try the domain mapping plugin http://ocaoimh.ie/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

3. Khal3d
    Posted 15 years ago #

:( i don't know haw can i install mapping plugin

i upload sunrise.php in wp-content/sunrise.php

and domain_mapping.php TO wp-content/mu-plugins/domain_mapping.php

and uncomment //define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' );
    to define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' );

but i not show any change in Control panel :(

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

That just enables the plugin. Then you actually have to follow the rest of the instructions to use it, as it doesn't magically know what to do next.

Go to the backend of the bog you want a domain for. Click on the Manage tab and then Domain Mapping. enter the domain there.

Now go to the backend of you main blog. Click Site Admin. Find the blog you just domain mapped and pick "edit blog". on the left side is a bunch of fields. they will have the subdomain address in them. Change them to the new domain name. Save.

5. Khal3d
    Posted 15 years ago #

Aha! now i understand,
    and domain mapping work with me

thank you andrea_r :)

6. thelaw
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was unable to get to the back end. I got an error:

Sorry, domain mapping only works on virtual host installs

Assuming that works, what you're saying is that now there is a way to edit a blog and put in a new domain? The only way to add a new blog I saw was to put in a subdirectory, e.g. mysite.com/subdir/ and that's it.

I was also told that you have to do some site mapping and not sure I understand this part. I am hosting the other domains on the same server. They are blank and I want the blog to appear as the home page of those sites, e.g. subdir.com is what will be the entry page for the blog that would be like the above setup if there wasn't a domain mapping. I'm using whm/cpanel and maybe someone can lead me to what I should be doing and how to make sense of what this does... MANY thanks.

About this Topic