The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problem: no access to sub blogs (3 posts)

1. jjmajava
    Posted 15 years ago #

My fresh WPMU intallation is behaving rather oddly. The symptoms are following:

- All the sub blogs show the header, sidebar, footer and theme of the main blog. The content area is empty. This is not theme related, as it happens with all the themes I try.

- When users log in, they see the admin area of the main blog, even though according to the URL they should be logged in to a sub blog. Any changes made here or new posts created (if the user has rights to do them) will affect the main blog only.

I did the installation a few days back and I didn't notice anything wrong then. Only thing that happened in between was that I e-mailed the webmaster to reset the permisssions after installation (couldn't do that myself, since I only have FTP connection and the server wont accept CHMOD over FTP) like the installation requested, and e responded that he did. So, could this be related to read/write permissions of the webserver and if so, what permissions (instead of 755, the one suggested in installation) could fix this. I understand setting them back to 777 is not an option.

Thanks in advance!

2. mraze
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have exactly the same problem. The main blog, installed in the root, works great with the pretty links but I cannot access the sub blogs at all.

Examples:
    domain.xx/ - works perfectly
    domain.xx/blogname/ - leads to a blank page with header and sidebars from the main blog
    domain.xx/wp-admin/ - works perfectly
    domain.xx/blogname/wp-admin/ - just redirects to the main blog's administration

I'm using a sub directory installation and I've tried both 2.6 and 2.6.1 (several re-installations).

I've been searching for hours and found several posts with similiar issues (like this one) but none of them solved my problem.

The error_log shows the following message:
    "Options FollowSymLinks or SymLinksIfOwnerMatch is off which implies that RewriteRule directive is forbidden".

I tried to enable FollowSymLinks via htaccess but that didn't do it either. I do not have access to the vhost, could that be it? Could pretty links work on the main blog if FollowSymLinks were disabled in the vhost?

Thanks in advance!

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Vhosts are for subdomains not subfolders.

"The error_log shows the following message:
    "Options FollowSymLinks or SymLinksIfOwnerMatch is off which implies that RewriteRule directive is forbidden".

I tried to enable FollowSymLinks via htaccess but that didn't do it either."

You do that in Apache's httpd.conf file, not htaccess. What that directive does is tell Apache to *read* the htaccess file. What you may really need in there is Allow File override.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by jjmajava
  • Latest reply from andrea_r