The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

is it possible to set main page to wp.dom.com and blogs as blog1.dom.com etc? (19 posts)

1. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

hello.
    is it possible to set main page to wp.dom.com and blogs as blog1.dom.com etc?

2. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sure, just create another blog under admin at wp-signup.php

3. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

but i want to make other site at dom.com

4. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

it is possible, i think. i have tried some experiments (?).

5. sgrunt
    Posted 15 years ago #

if i've understood you want that your site and your MU live together in the root.
    Let's name your homepage as default.php (for example) and set that default.php is the priority page of your folder.
    In this way then the user goes to http://www.yoursite.com he will see the default.php page, and only clicking to http://www.yoursite.com/index.php he will go to the MU (index.php is the homepage of the mu blogs)

6. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

thank you. it is also a way.

i make without www. www redirects to dom.com.

i think problems like this may be: wpmu makes links to images as blog1.wp.dom.com/images/ but they are at blog1.dom.com/images/ .

a question appears: when works with subdomains whether wordpress mu makes links to similar images (of blogs with similar themes) with different addresses? (if yes that is bad because images won't cache at client side.)
    i looked at a wordpress.com blog and there images are from s1.wordpress.com, s2.wordpress.com, s3.wordpress.com.

(now i am waiting for dns changes so that subdomains appear....
    but i can test it already! i have several empty subdomains. i am going to test...)

7. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

i have installed to sub.dom.com, making new blog in admin panel suggests to make it with address blogname.sub.dom.com.
    so that is impossible i think without modifications.. but hope maybe there is a way with changing some configurations, options.

8. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

it is possible. this way: go to edit blog and write blog1.dom.com instead of blog1.sub.dom.com.
    then i tried to register for a new blog as a not admin. i could not activate account. so wildcards *.sub.dom.com also should be made. because blogs are created by default there. it would be good if i can change that default.

9. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

wpmu serves equal files from different addresses.

10. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

it is easy to fix. urls of style and image files in templates should be edited and written as absolute addresses. (i have not tried yet.)

sgrunt: "if i've understood you want that your site and your MU live together in the root."
    no. i want that wordpress MU's main page is at wp.dom.com and the site is at dom.com .

i said: "now i am waiting for dns changes so that subdomains appear....
    but i can test it already!"
    i think i can try it also with making subdomains with /etc/hosts file.

11. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

hello.
    now domains are ready. but just now registering first for a new blog as qdinar.wp.dom.com and then editing it from wp.dom.com admin panel to "qdinar.dom.com" has caused that i cannot login to the qdinar.dom.com. if it has worked, it would be impractical, uncomfortable (to edit every new blog). i need to modify wpmu so that it registers new blogs at blog1.dom.com like adresses (as third level domains).
    i'll look to some php files, and if i cannot modify it i make it to register blogs as wp.dom.com/blog1 or the way sgrunt has suggested.

12. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

to modify would be too hard for me i think (and as i thinked).
    i have a new idea: to install wpmu to dom.com/wp/ with subdomains.
    and one more idea: if i want to make as sgrunt suggested but want not to use index.php for wpmu i can maybe with special replacer program replace almost all "index.php"-s in all php files to other (eg "wp.php").

13. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

i have found out an "Server Address" option on first installation page, it is set to wp.dom.com, i'll try to set it to dom.com.

14. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

that (setting "Server Address" to dom.com when installing from wp.dom.com) does not work correctly.
    "Your WordPress µ site has been configured."
    "You can log in using the username "admin" and password 2249c6fedd40"
    if i go to login, it is without styles applied.
    if i go to "WordPress µ" (it is dom.com) i go to dom.com where is that site. and when try to login it says: "The requested URL /wp-login.php was not found on this server.".

15. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

installing wpmu to dom.com/wp/ with subdomains:
    when registering for a new blog it says "Your address will be qdinar.dom.com/wp/." (i did not want that subfolder. but if would be easy to have a custom site on qdinar.dom.com/ it would be useful.)
    then activation url has not worked, it was http://qdinar.dom.com/wp/wp-activate.php?key=940e48b115ea02cd . i edited it(url) deleting "qdinar" subdomain and it has worked after that. but http://qdinar.dom.com/wp/ and http://qdinar.dom.com/wp/wp-login.php links on the "Your account is now active!" page do not work, editing them by deleting /wp/ subfolder also does not help.
    may be that is correctable with editing rewrite rules.

16. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

the last try is not correct. i have commented out (?) wp.dom.com vhost and have not wrote serveralias directives in other place. i am going to to correct that.

17. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

yes, it works after setting in dom.com vhost ServerAlias dom.com *.dom.com *.wp.dom.com

18. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

i think that that the way that sgrunt suggested also won't work fully. because there are links in wpmu like "dom.com/" as i remember. they will load the site instead of wpmu's main page.
    and i don't want to mix wpmu root folder content with site root directory content.

19. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

there are also an other new topic about this problem:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=9714

About this Topic