The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Userblog's ending in 404 (7 posts)

1. denware
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi!

When a new member registers and activate's, his blog stays a 404 page. I think its somthing with the permalinks... Could someone help?

I installed MU with the subdomain-thing turned off

(Htaccess:)
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$
    RewriteRule ^(.+)$ /$1/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you're posting your htaccess file, you've not finished reading the readme file or the debugging page that it links to. Please take a few moments and do so. You'll find information on what to include when asking for help. Like looking at your error logs, providing a link as an example, don't post contents of files unless asked for them and especially don't post your htaccess file since we all have the same one, etc.

3. lampep
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm new to wordpress-mu. Yahoo is my hosting service. I have a wordpress installation and blog running on our site but wanted to add several more blogs. I installed wordpress mu in a wordpress-mu subdirectory and chose the subdirectory option (wanted to be able to transfer my existing wordpress blog to mu once installed...it is by yahoo default in a blog directory). Got it installed. Called yahoo and asked them to enable read-write access and to modify the httpd.conf table (which I wasn't sure was necessary given that I'm using subdirectories not subdomains). He told me that they aren't running apache so I don't need to do this. He said everything is written into the sql table. I have a main blog, new users can sign up, are sent email and supposedly...a blog is created for them..but it is 404 errors on all new blogs. He insisted after looking at the wordpress-mu readme file that nothing under apache applied and that I MUST have something wrong in my sql files. Given that I don't know their hosting system and he looked at the readme file: I MUST have something wrong somewhere but don't know where else to look. The blogs are created in my sql files. I have tried to find the htaccess file created during the install using filezilla and forcing hidden files but only see the dist file. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

4. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

"I have tried to find the htaccess file created during the install using filezilla and forcing hidden files but only see the dist file."

Must be an .htaccess to rewrite urls to blogs.

5. lampep
    Posted 15 years ago #

I cannot see a .htaccess file either using filezilla and forcing hidden or just looking at their online file manager. All blogs that are supposedly created are showing up in my sql tables but....I can't see anything but a 404 page. Do I need to modify some other file? I tried to click on the information on the wordpress.org site on setting up in subdirectory but that link is broken.

6. noquierouser
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have the same problem and in both options (directory and subdomain).

I'm using 000webhost.

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

First thing you need to do is change hosts. That's a very well known spammer and I don't think you going to get much help. Second step would be to give some details and specifics because the only time you have the same problem is when you're the same person as the original poster.

About this Topic