The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Referer table (9 posts)

1. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just discovered that in my install, the referer tables for each user are getting to be as big as the tables for the entries. Does anyone know how I can either disable this (since most users are unaware of its existance or prefer to use something else) or easily get it to drop information after a certain timeframe?

(I've got a soft limit on my database size and it's halfway full. I'd like to get rid of extraneous info like this until I figure out how to add another db to the install...)

2. nuprn1
    Posted 17 years ago #

The information is only kept for how many days in the month there are. (dayofmonth) So you could just have a quick script each week clean out the days you no longer need.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well it turns out there was one blog with the options table swelled to 15 MEGS which we cleaned out. :D Oy.

4. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrea, how did you clean it out? Using a script nuprn1 mentioned?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Right thru phpAdmin. It was mostly one field in one table that was a space hog.

We also discovered a minor bug (?) that added a / to this field (can't remember right offhand) every time we used the Edit option to edit the blog, which we did a LOT because I was working on a pile of themes and checking them in one test blog.

6. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

Right thru phpAdmin, means deleting everything in the table from that one field?

PS: andrea, have you dropped me an email regarding widgetising themes with the 4lines and admin bar you mentioned in another thread? Thanks.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"Right thru phpAdmin, means deleting everything in the table from that one field?"

Everything in the one *field* that we didn't want.

And whups... forgot to send email. Want me to send a theme as an example?

8. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yeap, thanks for the reply. Understand now :)

I have your anthuriumMU theme from here.
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=797

We talked about it here.
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=384&replies=18#post-4620

I just need to know exactly how to widgetise themes so there can be a standard to every theme we widgetise.
    Thereafter we could put it in a documentationn for all to follow and get things moving faster. Andrew would be getting more mails with themes ready then. :)

Looking forward to your email. sam at ziire.com

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well... I just followed the widgetizing instructions from the Widget plugin page. :-?

The problem I've run into is that not all themes are created equal. ie: they don't all follow the same standard markup for sidebars (or sometimes anything else). It took a bit to figure out, and in some themes it was almost impossible. The "Borderline Chaos" theme for example was one that didn't work well with widgets or the sidebar editor plugin (I think, can't quite remember. I do know I disabled it.)

Hmm. We should have this conversation in another thread. :)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by andrea_r
  • Latest reply from andrea_r