The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Collaboration System (5 posts)

1. RCB I.T. Solutions
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've been experimenting with using WP as a collaboration system but have come to the conclusion that for my needs MU might be a better solution. I plan on the main blog working much like an intranet only for employees, both employees and clients would be granted logins to the site, for our clients with active project(s) there would be a blog for each project. But have a few questions:

1) I would require people to login before viewing anything. If I require you to login first and you login and try to goto a blog you do not have access to what would happen? Could I send the user to their primary blog?

2) Is it possible to change some text in MU, ie change all mentioned of blog/blogs to project/projects?

3) I already run a small MU install with 3 blogs and the admin blog, and this new MU install would have probably the same number of blogs at most for now, would that be too much for my basic hosting account?

Thanks for your input.

2. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

1) Doable - I know of a wpmudev.org privacy plugin that can do this nicely.
    2) Doable - but main blog gets a "/blog" permalink that is a bother to edit. Other wp-admin edits may be a bother to redo each time you upgrade(but likely only 2-3 times per year, I'd guess)
    3) Sounds like you know the answer for your hosting account already.

3. RCB I.T. Solutions
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well it is handling one small MU install, but could it take two, it is a shared account but they are/would be small MU installs, I could also upgrade to a low end VPS if needed but would prefer to avoid the extra cost.

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

regarding 3)
    wpmu in itsself doesn't eat resources, it depends on how many visitors/blogs you'll plan on having and bearing in mind that it is a members only wpmu install and you say its not going to have more than 3 blogs you have tied it pretty much down I guess. Should be fine.

on the other side there is a plugin for normal wp that could also do what you want, as wpmu is a little overkill for 3 blogs. check out this plugin: http://wpmu.org/wpuniverse/ and if you combine that with a plugin that restricts user rights to certain categories, that would be an alternative.

5. RCB I.T. Solutions
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well that looks interesting, but one of the biggest reasons for using MU over WP is not only the separate environments for each project, but because each user would have a different role in each project. Plus the need for having only a few blogs is only for now, as my company grows and has more projects going on at the same time the collaboration system will have more, maybe upto 10, 20, more, it will just depend on us doing work that requires a collaboration system. And our other MU install is for our corporate blog network, being a small company we don't have a handful of bloggers, but as we grow so will it, so I appreciate pointing that out but because of the scalability needs I think MU would be best.

So it looks my my current hosting is fine for right now. I went to wpmudev.org and I'm looking at what they have to offer and I think it will be perfect.

Thans so much you guys for your help on this.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by RCB I.T. Solutions
  • Latest reply from RCB I.T. Solutions