The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

one theme for 6 blogs with different headers and css (12 posts)

1. akamaxbuz
    Posted 15 years ago #

I want to use one theme for six blogs but I want to change colors, header image, the css in general. How do I do that? Some of the forum threads about this are one or two years old.

2. JellyBeen
    Posted 15 years ago #

The first thing that comes to mind is simply make five additional copies of the template you want to use.

Rename each new folder to something that differentiates it from the other new folders, such as template_2, template_3, etc.

Edit each "style.css" file in each folder to identify the templates accordingly.

For example:

Change the style.css in folder two from:
    -> Theme Name: WordPress mu Default
    To:
    -> Theme Name: WordPress mu Default #2
    ... folder three to:
    -> Theme Name: WordPress mu Default #3
    ... etc.

Upload all these new template folders to your themes directory and you should be set. Of course you will need to change particualr template according to your wishes, but this will get you started.

3. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Or you can create the theme to do just that. Or use an existing one like Mandingo which will allow users to customize the header and colors and whatnot.

4. akamaxbuz
    Posted 15 years ago #

That is what I thought, JellyBeen. I have done that in the past, but when I edit the Theme Name in Style.css, it goes all wack in the Mu dashboard.!I thought I could add a screengrab here, but I can not! Well, take a look at it on over here:
    http://www.tumblr.com/new/photo

This is what it looks like on Mu Site Themes. It adds all of the style.css instead of just the Theme name.
    And it isn't just Thesis. I tried it on another theme and it did the same.

5. akamaxbuz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Opps! my bad! here is the correct url: http://kbsmith.tumblr.com/

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"but when I edit the Theme Name in Style.css, it goes all wack in the Mu dashboard."

Then don't do that.

make copies of the theme on your computer. RENAME the directories and the style.css in each one. THEN upload them.

Also, Thesis is built to have custom child themes as well, so dig aroudn their site on how to do that.

I know it works on MU fine.

7. akamaxbuz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Adrea- That is what I did. Copied the Theme directory, changed that name and the Theme Name in style.css and uploaded to my site. I had done it before on another non-Mu site without incident. Just repeated again now, and still get wack: http://kbsmith.tumblr.com/ Can you see this? I have worked with the Thesis custom sheets.
    Glad to know it works on Mu. Thanks. IT's ME!

8. akamaxbuz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not sure why, but here's what happened. The above steps I did first and then used an FTP app to upload. Then I downloaded the few files I would be tweaking using DreamWeaver. In DW I changed the Theme Name and re-uploaded and the "wackness" went away. Not sure why that would do it. Maybe it is a Unix Thang, or permissions.
    So I am closing in. Thanks again. IT was ME!

9. jasonbenesch
    Posted 15 years ago #

Really what you should be doing is separating your site's layout from the site's design.

One stylesheet should have only the layout and architecture, ie. margins, paddings, positioned elements, etc.

And the other stylesheet should contain only the colors, color, background-color, etc.

Then in the header of the theme you can have an if statement to include which color stylesheet you want depending on what blog is being requested. ie. if($wpdb->blogid == 3) include the red stylesheet.

You could even have different colors per author/category template.

10. JellyBeen
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm glad you are getting closer.

If you are looking to only have each one of these themes only available to a unique blog, then remember not to activate the themes globally, but activate them via the individual blog editing function. (I forgot to mention this in my previous post.)

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Then in the header of the theme you can have an if statement to include which color stylesheet you want depending on what blog is being requested. ie. if($wpdb->blogid == 3) include the red stylesheet."

Or build an options page for the theme so the user can pick from the backend. :D

12. gostevego
    Posted 15 years ago #

wait, can you use some tumblr themes for wordpress mu. i love the simplicity of tumblr.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by akamaxbuz
  • Latest reply from gostevego