The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

paid / paid blogs via wordpressmu (7 posts)

1. djsteve
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have been wanting to set up a [aid blog hosting service - nothing fancy - somthin like 5 bucks for 6 months or something, but wondering if it is possible.. I am assuming that I can set up wordpress mu in a dirctoery like http://www.mywebsite.com/blogs/ and then use the mywebsite.com to have a sign up page that would allow users to pay a small fee then given a password, which would allow them to access the system. Given an htaccess that corordinates with the pay script, it seems that this would be possible, but I just wanted to check, as I a have set up a few regular wordpresses, I do not know if the mu version would have any difficulties with this, or if there is anything saying that doing this would violate any wordpress terms or anything... so I guess, is it cool? is it possible? and is anyone else already doing it?

Thanks for any input, I absolutley love wordpress, it blows away everything else out there!

2. mrball
    Posted 17 years ago #

its GPL so you can do anything u want with it! :)

but why would people pay if they can get it free?

3. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I agree. It wouldn't be worth it unless you can provide a few features that people can't get anywhere else for free..

4. Pixelate01
    Posted 17 years ago #

You might pay because you get it attached to a community or a domain and to avoid being flogged by ads.

5. badlagar
    Posted 17 years ago #

djsteve, people only will pay you if you offer them any thing that the want and this thing is not offer for free by other webpage.

6. wpvince
    Posted 17 years ago #

Many reasons you'd want to offer a paid service, and many blogging services already do so:
    * upgrade for more disk space
    * upgrade for more bandwidth (especially if you offer podcasting or videocasting)
    * removal of any advertising, or allow just their own

I'm suprised if someone running WPMU has not already done this.

7. wpvince
    Posted 17 years ago #

Another thread with someone working on a possible solution

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2439&replies=7

About this Topic