The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

changing the name of wp-signup.php (7 posts)

1. roguestar
    Posted 15 years ago #

my MU is almost finish and it wont be long before i open the doors so to speak but one thing thats bothering me is automatic spam signups and after reading the forums on here, there doesnt really seem to be a perfect solution to this so i've decided to rename wp-sign-up.php and add a capcha and hope this this will catch most spam signup bots.
    Anyway my question is, does anyone have a list of all the files i need to seach for references to wp-signup?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just that one, and inside that file do a search for calls to itself. There's maybe half a dozen.

FWIW, if you do the renaming you won't need the captcha.

3. roguestar
    Posted 15 years ago #

cheers :)
    in the thread http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=8152 lunabyte mentions that wp-signup.php is mentioned in another file but doesnt name it. would this matter?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Depends.

If a blog isn't found, the method above shown a white screen.

If you change where the "blog not found" goes, then you can get around that.

(I didn't worry about it for now.)

5. roguestar
    Posted 15 years ago #

i see, i think. so i'd only get a white page using the method on that thread but just changing the links on the sign-up.php works just as well? (all i'll be doing is renaming the sign-up.php not adding any fancy code)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, just changing the links in wp-signup will work fine. it only gives a WSOD if someone looks for a blog whcih doesn't exist. That triggers the system to look for the *default* signup page, which we've removed/replaced/added a die to the top of.

And that should do it for ya.

7. shyuan
    Posted 14 years ago #

i found wp-signup in wp-login.php.. i have changed it also.. it's working fine too.. ;-)

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by roguestar
  • Latest reply from shyuan