The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

User's primary Blog (8 posts)

1. realsol
    Posted 15 years ago #

I originally setup wordpressmu with my company's website as the main blog. I have since created a personal blog and set this up as its own SITE.

I don't have users create blogs off this SITE, but I do require they be logged in to see my personal stuff. When a new user creates a new user account, WPMU set's them up, but sets their primary blog as my company blog. This is confusing since when they try to log in from the link sent by email, it sends them to my personal blog, and after they sign in, it re-directs them to my business blog, which then asks them to sign-in again. The user feels that their log in is not being accepted.

I am assuming this is because their 'primary blog' assigned to them when they sign-in is set to my company log. I don't know where it is picking this up from, nor do I know how to change it.

Can anyone help my confused users (well, they were already confused when they got there... but...)?

2. realsol
    Posted 15 years ago #

Am I the only one with this problem?

3. realsol
    Posted 15 years ago #

OK. I can't believe that I am the only person that uses multi site and has users sign up for the individual site without making a blog. But I must be unique. Because, if anyone else was having user's create usernames but not create blogs, would also go crazy to find out that user is now going to be redirected "always" to the main site of WordpressMU. This makes absolutely no sense.

There has to be a way to do 2 things without changing the core files of WordpressMU.

1. There has to be an option somewhere (and I must just be missing it) to let users only create accounts, sending them their activation code, and then sending them to a log-in without sending them back to the main site (to the log in screen no less) after they correctly enter their new password.

2. There has to be a way to no send them into the admin area after a successful log-in, but to the main home page.

Why has this message not been answered? I know that I am not the only one with these questions. Does everyone out there just change wordpressMU's core files, and then when they update wordpressMU to another version, change the core files again? I mean, if this is my only option, so be it, but it really makes no sense to me.

Please, someone explain the logic to me...

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, you are in the minority for your setup. :)

Since I'm the one who suggested the users-assigned-to-main-blog, I'll explain the logic - for a *basic* MU system.

See, if a user signed up before, they had nowhere to go in the backend of MU for things like changing their email, getting a password, etc... they had no profile page if they were not assigned to a blog. And the way MU works is, you sign up as a user to the whole system and *then* you get added to the blog you want membership on, usually by the blog admin.

The reason you haven't really had an answer to your question is because it's about 3 or 4 in one - and those individual ones have been answered already.

- you want a user to sign up on a sub-blog (in this case a mapped domain as a separate "site"). Then use the "add user to blog" widget here - http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Add-User-Widget

this one may help too- http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Pick-a-Site

For the last two, search for "redirect on login" - http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/search.php?search=redirect+on+login&forum_id=0

And no, not everyone has hacks to keep track of. Some of us do, and yes - they are applied with each and every upgrade. If it's an important enough hack it's important enough to keep track of each time then. This actually goes on quite a bit in the development world.

5. realsol
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks andrea for the reply.

Yeah, I am using MU to host sites that have nothing to do with each other. This is why I said MU might not have made sense for me. But, I really like the administration on multi sites and one installation.

I wrote my own widget that allows the users to register for the individual blog (site/domain). It keeps them out of the whole log-in registration stuff. Seems to work fine except for wp_login() never log's them in (see my other message http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=10092&replies=1#post-60724). So I wrote it to my own form to post to /wp-login and redirect back to the homepage. But if they mistype there log-in they are sent back to the /wp-login screen anyhow.

If I could figure out why I can't log someone using the function wp_login, I think it might work. Any idea?

Also, if I just edit the code to always redirect back to the home page from the login, ignoring what page called it, that would work also and I could keep the functionality of the whole login procedure, but I am unsure where to make that change. Any help here would be great also.

Thanks a lot for your time andrea. I have been going a little crazy trying to figure this out.

6. realsol
    Posted 15 years ago #

OK. I broke down and edited the wp-login.php to redirect users back to the blog's root they are signing into if they are being redirected from 'admin/'. Seems to work fine.

But one question. Why does the default MU login only allow users to change their profile settings on the root blog?

I would like them to see their profile, but within the blog their are currently logged into. This way, when they make a change to their profile and click the 'Visit Site' button at the top of the admin area, they are still in the blog they were in to start with.

Since my main blog has nothing to do with the blog they are signing into, it makes sense to let users change their profile from within that blogs admin area.

Using the standard WordPress registration, the password is impossible to memorize and my users are loggin in from different pc's.

How can I have the blog users, when signed in, edit their profile from within that blogs admin area?

7. mkaiser
    Posted 14 years ago #

realsol, are you willing to share the redirect-to-signedup-from-blog-hack?
    Right now, I am running into the same problems and don't want to reinvent the wheel :-/

8. anointed
    Posted 14 years ago #

@mkaiser Now there is an even better solution to this problem.
    I just uploaded a new plugin to wpmudev.org that may be useful to you. I know many have complained about this.

It allows people to register for an individual blog using the normal registration process. In WPMU all registrations are forwarded to wp-signup.php, so it is impossible for a visitor to register for only a sub-blog. This plugin overrides WPMU and restores the default WordPress registration page for sub-blogs (sub-blog.domain.com/wp-login.php?action=register).

Features:

* Compatible with plugins like Register Plus to control registrations.
    * You can edit the default user role sitewide (subscriber, author, etc.).
    * You can also control whether users can adjust their own blog registration settings.
    * If users can control their own registration settings, a menu with that option appears under Users->User Registrations.
    * Does not affect main blog. Registrations there are maintained at wp-signup.php.

Check it out: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/wpmu-blog-registrations

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by realsol
  • Latest reply from anointed