The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

regarding filtering of br tags (10 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

hi there.
    my <br /> tags keep getting filtered. I thought if I used the mu-unfiltered plugin by automatic that wouldn't happen but it is still happening.

Is tehre a trick to this, without hacking the core?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

*scratches head*

Either side of the editor should insert line breaks automatically. They don't show up as br tags when you view it though.

If it looks right in the entry window, but is "off" on the front end in whatever theme you're using, then it's the theme's fault. Check to see if they reset p spacing to 0. you'll need to redeclare it.

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

sorry, did explain not really in detail:

I go to the html view not the wysiwyg editor, type in ´
    ´ then switch to the wysiwyg side back again and the br tag is gone. So its definitely being filtered...

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

So..... why type in the actual tag thoguh? If you just press enter (even in HTML mode), it'll give you an invisible line break.

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

k, I was trying to fix something.
    check this post: http://zice.ro/diverse/facilitate-noua-puteti/

see that directly after the post content some plugins inject a link to the forum and the articles tags.
    I thought I could end the articles with an br tag, then use css to assign something like clear: left;
    to the br tags to get the injected code after the content to display on its own line...

6. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

I always have trouble with Wordpress's editor too to be honest. It's like a mesh of filtering and automagick when the "html view" doesn't actually show the true html, which drives me nuts.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah me too, but now I'm used to it.

remind me to tell you about the user I have who has entries in big huge paragraphs because she still can't manage to hit enter properly.

Ovi - there's already a span class="sfforumlink" being spewed out on it. add it to the theme stylesheet and clear that.

(and get firebug. :D )

Edit again: Oh wait, it's doing that because the images take up more space than the text. In my tests, it would have taken a good 4 br tags to push that where you want it.

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

thx andrea, but:
    - got firebug :-)
    - didn't want the sfforumlink class as not all topics have a link to a coresponding forum post and if that sfforumlink is missing, the Tags are next and those do not have any classes :-(
    - I thought about giving the br tags a clear: left that should take care of it, right? didn't want to put 4 br tags in :-)

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"I thought about giving the br tags a clear: left that should take care of it, right? "

I thought that too, but in Firebug where you're able to edit the html, I added a br tag and styled it with a clear:left and that wasn't working.

"didn't want the sfforumlink class as not all topics have a link to a coresponding forum post and if that sfforumlink is missing, the Tags are next and those do not have any classes :-("

Then I'd add a class for the tags too. There's actually quite a few unstyled elements in that theme.

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

:-) thx for the hints, but unfortunately the tags are automatically added by the simple tags plugin so I would have to hack that plugin :-(

I'll have to switch to manually including them...

About this Topic