The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Wordpress MU Stats by Piwik (11 posts)

1. MCarr
    Posted 15 years ago #

I need to a stats solution for MU that I can offer my users. I have alot of users and just one server (as I'm sure most of you have) so caching is a must.

FireStats, ShortStats, Statpress and others I've experimented with don't support caching. Some of their reports aren't accurate to begin with (even with caching disabled). Google Analytics is too complex for my users and requires sign-up. Wordpress.com Stats also requires signup.

Has anyone tried Piwik ?

I don't know enough to code a Piwik+MU solution but I've found this discussion with an outline given by someone who had gotten it to work.

What do you guys think ?

http://lists.piwik.org/pipermail/piwik-hackers/2008-May/000112.html

I've tried this in test and it seems to work:

When a new blog is created:

/piwik/index.php?module=API&method=SitesManager.addSite&siteName=[BLOGNAME]&urls=[URL]&format=xml

This request returns an id. This will be used in ad. 3

2. /piwik/index.php?module=API&method=UsersManager.addUser&userLogin=[USERNAME]&password=[PASSWORD]&email=[USER
    EMAIL]&format=xml

(if the user already exists it will return error. Just ignore)

3./piwik/index.php?module=API&method=UsersManager.setUserAccess&userLogin=[USERNAME]&access=view&idSites=[ID
    RETURNED FROM AD. 1]&format=xml

4. Insert this code on all blog pages:
    <!-- Piwik -->
    <script language="javascript"
    src="/piwik/piwik.js"
    type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    piwik_action_name = '';
    piwik_idsite = [ID RETURNED FROM AD. 1];
    piwik_url = '/piwik/piwik.php';
    piwik_log(piwik_action_name, piwik_idsite, piwik_url);
    //-->
    <!-- /Piwik -->

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Piwik does seem promising for an in house solution. I remember reading about a new MU site that did custom integration with it.

3. Konstan
    Posted 15 years ago #

Integration would be great.

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Mcarr: what do you mean by do not support caching?
    can you explain exactly what the issue is?

I am not aware of any problems so please elaborate what caching you mean and what the problems are.

5. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

You never tried those plugins with Super-Cache enabled ? They don't record the hits. For it to work with a Cache the tracking needs to be javascript.

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

the new firestats RC2 supports javascript tracking now, see my other post: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=10289

7. cheeoo
    Posted 15 years ago #

i dont understand the appeal of local javascript-based stats. if you have a serious wpmu site, wouldnt it be more efficient on every level to analyze logfiles via cron, ala awstats?

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

I guess that's right but how do you automatically offer your users access to their stats?

9. cheeoo
    Posted 15 years ago #

it would be no different once the data is in the database. its just a matter of changing how the data is inserted in the first place.

they have a ticket open but nobody is developing it:

http://dev.piwik.org/trac/ticket/134

10. blogz
    Posted 15 years ago #

finally anyone found a solution for a stats plugin for wpmu 2.7 ?

I used firestats with wpmu 2.6.5 and it worked fine that time but doesnt works good with 2.7

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

works just fine here, whats wrong with firestats?

About this Topic