The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordPress MU and domain mapping project (15 posts)

1. gio50000
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello,

I have a new installation of WordPress MU (WP MU) hosted on Media Temple's Dedicated Virtual plan.  My goal is to utilize WP MU to host my customer sites using their domain names.

I am seeking to hire someone familiar WP MU and domain mapping. I have WP MU installed along with the MU Domain Mapping plugin developed by Donncha. I need someone to take over from here and simply or automate the process of mapping domains for each of my current and new sites.

Thank you,
    Gio
    gio50000 at gmail.com

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello,

I did such thing a while ago.

Drop me a message to venturemaker [at] gmail [dot] com

3. gio50000
    Posted 15 years ago #

Anyone else using WordPress MU and domain mapping? How are you mapping the domains on your server with Domain Mapping plugin developed by Donncha?

Gio

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

point or park the domain at your main install. The plugin handles the rest.

5. gio50000
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrea_r - true the plugin does the first part of the domain mapping but how did you setup domain mapping on the server? Normally when you create a new domain its a separate entity from the domain with WP MU. In my case creating a symbolic link could work but is that how its supposed to work? I'm looking for a simpler solution, automated even better.

Gio

6. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

The only needed automation is the part of registering the domain and pointing it at MU. Donncha's plugin needs to be built upon and integrated with a registrar for that to happen. Edublogs has their own domain mapping plugin that does all this, but they don't release it.

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's because it's specifically coded for their server, not for general use. And then my own Direct Admin boxes have their own method as well.

Ditto for dealing with domain registars. Each one has their own API and they all work differently.

I have three different installs that do this. All three of them have very different code as all three use different registars.

This is not something that's going to be a general plugin.

8. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

tdjcbe: If you're talking about edublog's plugin, it's specifically coded for eNom's API. Their reason for not releasing it is because a reseller account at eNom is quite expensive, therefore very few people would be able to use the plugin. Are you saying you have a domain mapping solution built for 3 different registrars? Mind naming them?

9. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Here's the Enom API tutorial I mentioned up above:

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/3219.html

eNom, Tucows, and Joker. Wouldn't matter though as we use Direct Admin while most folks here use CPanel. The command line scripts to add in a domain are different than how CPanel handles them.

Their reason for not releasing it is because a reseller account at eNom is quite expensive

I believe we covered that when Andrew mentioned that he had signed up for one. You can get a reseller account for $100 bucks if you sign up under another reseller. (ie You know somebody already in the program.) Most first line eNom resellers will do this as they themselves get a cut. I got mine via Modernbill, the billing software for CPanel way back when. I remember some grumbling from Andrew in fact when I and a couple of others pointed that out to him.

10. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Here's the thread:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=8944

It was James with the grumbling. Sorry about that.

11. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

I never followed up on that thread, but yeah it doesn't surprise me that it was cheaper than James mentioned. My whole point to the OP was that there are several solutions out there, they just aren't being shared. If they were, people like me could code modifications to make it more of a "general plugin". A finished and final plugin could be developed that doesn't rely on a control panel, but simply a $10 enom affiliate account and dropping the plugin in a directory. Just because the current code is adapted for a certain control panel or certain registrar's API, doesn't mean that it someone can't use it or that it's useless to release. At the moment, we have to tell people like the OP that they will have to come up with a solution themselves because those that have done it are not releasing their code for others to adapt.

12. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

MrBrian, I'm going to leave this discussion be but I've talked to the developer who wrote the code for edublogs and they agree with what I stated. The code was written for the edublogs platform and includes extra coding that isn't present with wpmu nor Donncha's plugin. That's why it wasn't released. It also was not GPL'ed. (At least that was the impression that I received.)

If you want to write a plugin that will work for a single registar on a single type of server, I'm all for it. Do realize though that it's not a "general plugin" for everybody.

13. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

Could anyone point me to the solutions I have with a subdir installation (even the paying ones) ?

14. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

The Multi-Site manager will map domains on a sibdir install.

15. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

There are a few errors in this plugin :
    refer to a wp-admin/mu.php
    Impossible to unassign a blog.

Any other idea ?

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by gio50000
  • Latest reply from enseignement